Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 5 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning all.
Oh lordy, lordy I am tired and sore! The things we do!
Colleen, get well soon! i hope you and the boys don't have any lingering trouble. At least while you are recuperating your back is benefitting also! I hope the weather is kind to you while you are convalescing.
Wendy, lucky old maxxy loves a thunderstorm. Lily is a mess when there is one, and last week i came home to find her shut in the laundry, as a kind neighbour had found her on the road during a thunderstorm and locked her away. Her son, Leo, isn't excited either way, and just carries on as usual, wondering what all the to do is about.
Normally, I'd offer for you to send down those tills needing room, but I am actually a little short of room myself! I have started the shade house, but am waiting for kind weather to weed spray the floor area, and then get the cloth up. It was blowing a gale yesterday.
I was amazed by your A. 'Primera' photo, as i didn't know about the groove, nor had i seen one before.
We had 110mm here on saturday night and have had brief annoying showers, usually when i am working up in the old growers shade house, where there is no protection! At least I haven't had to worry about watering the plants while I am so busy moving them.
Trish, same here as for Nev, it has cooled down so much I pulled the doona back on last night. It was 15 degrees yesterday morning, but I must admit, the cool weather is much nicer for working in!
Thank you so much for the offer of your first N. 'Kismet' pup. Its a beauty! Let it take its own time to grow and in the meantime, keep an eye on the plants I post pics of and write in your book the ones you'd like a swap of.
Lucky you to score the first go at the sale. I always tell my regulars they don't have to wait for a sale, but to just ring and make an appointment, as I don't mind who buys the stuff, as long as it sells, and the regulars are...well, regular, so why shouldn't they get a reward for being good customers. I am sure the lady is happy that you got them, and in knowing she can contact you if she wants to collect again.
Your A. 'Mirlo' looks very much like A. 'Belizia'. I wonder if they are similar parentage? I can't check on the bromeliad photo index as it is playng up this morning.
Ian, I'll go along with that theory. I usually keep the first pup, and then anything after that is up for swap/sale/gifting. Sometimes, if its a special one, I'll keep the lot, and have found if I plant one in the garden, and keep one for stock, then I should have a plentiful supply.
I am not familiar enough with A. fenlerii to say if your flower is right, or not. I have a bunch of A. fendlerii in the new collection, so I guess I will find out.
Nev, I have some interesting old journals i am going to post down to you. Lots of interesting stuff from the 70s and 80s. I will pop them in the post today.
Right, photos. SD card......check!
Photo one is the new shadehouse structure.
Photo two is some A. blanchettianas
Photo three and four are part of the sales area
Photo five is more . blanchettians, which will be getting some attention very soon!
Till tomorrow, I am off to deliver sale pamphlets and walk the dogs.
Sue