Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 5 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Nev did I say red ribbons? must have been tired as I posted red bands. so just to clear it up pic 1 s red ribbons and pc 2 is red bands. hope I didn't confuse anyone.

I'm proud to say I have done something that I was told by a well known grower was not possibly. Ross Little said he has never known ae macroclamys to self set seed but I had noticed 2 black pods on mine and duly collected the and squeezed 1 seed from each pod which I planted on 29 Sept (see pic 3) showing 1 small seedlings and over to the side of the pot is another little bit of green but too small to pick up in pic I think. Today I found another black pod so this time took a pic of the pod in front of the infloresence. (see pic 5 but the camera didn't show how black the pod really was). Maybe it was crossed with something in that garden where everything seems to have set seed but time will tell us if it is self set or crossed by insects or birds. I certainly did not cross it with anything though. The pod today only produced another single seed so I planted it in another small round yoghurt pot and put gladwrap and rubber band round it same as the one I did last month. I am checking for more black pods each day now.

pic 4 is the vareigated guzmanias Johnny picked at Olive's sale on Saturday. unfortunately he took the pics and didn't record the names so I'll have to redo them with names this time. but a group shot will show you his haul. Sorry about the confusing order of pics but some load quicker than others.

Shirley are you still coming to my place tomorrow or Thursday? we'll be home potting our pups and waiting for you. give me a call on home number if you are coming tomorrow otherwise I'll see your message tomorrow night that you are coming on Thursday. Looking forward to a nice chat and Johnny said he will have a group of vriseas picked out for you to choose from.
Wendy