Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 5 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, and what a cloudy day we are enjoying at the moment, I hope it rains here soon. It is dry.I had a busy weekend, potting, buying and had a group meeting.
Wendy, what Ar have I planted seed from, good question, I know where the parent is but do not know it's name as yet. I tried fendleri but am still dissapointed with the results. Another fendleri is jest coming into flower so I will try again when the seeds are ready. I currently have10 different Neo seeds planted and have 8 more to collect and 3 or 4 coming into flower and 1 mini with seeds. I might just have to look around and see if there are any more. I also have tried Al regina alba syn verisia regina alba( ok what does this mean could it be a cross with Alacantrea and Verisia or just a name change). I also have Al PeterTtristam sewn but not yet germinated. Ae Peek-a-boo is just waiting for me to experiment with seed collection as is Ae Sphaeroglossa and Ae Orlindiana Picinniny. As I said before I am an experimenter, I need to know what I can do, what I can grow and what I can't and if I don't have a go, I'll never know. A lot of people here are frightened with the prospect of growing from seed. That's their problem, they will buy some of my plants one day.

Wendy, Yes I have a lot of broms and they are growing daily in size as well, I hope. I am starting to be more selective in what plants I buy. When I potted up the seedlings, they're still too small but I have the time to work with them now and doubt that I will in a few months when I normally get busy at work. 1 plant in a 1.5" pot 12 in a tray and I have too many .The only fertiliser I am using at the moment isPotassium to help with their roots.

Sue, yes the bug done gone and bit me and I am told there is no cure.I love your Gardens.Just had a thought that maybe you could have your sales plants under the gum trees and sell them from there, it may not work for you.

Nev, I use scoria partly because i tend to overwater, partly due to climate and partly scoria.75" will hold the plant stable to assist rooting. Once it has good roots then I will check on out weather and possibly change to another potting mixture
Tristus X Fosperior. I planted seed and got white seedlings, did I say pups. The mother has a pup of good colour at the moment. I have no idea of the parentage of tristus x fosperior, i could possibly find out where i bought it from and who their supplier is and go from there. I have tried another batch of seeds just to prove that I didn't do something to stuff up. Love your till pics I started the talk of hannibal asking what 4 plants are the members of "silence of the lambs". it is a collection of Hannibal and 3 look alikes. The $2.oo plant I bought at a market in May last year, I am hoping to find the people who ran that stall.
Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1N Moby Dick
Pic 2N Gold heart
Pic 3 Ae Noid
Pic 4 N wilsoniana
Pic 5 Ae Tornado