Perennials: A Quick View of Dax's Gardens, 5 by dax080

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dax080

In reply to: A Quick View of Dax's Gardens

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of A Quick View of Dax's Gardens
dax080 wrote:
Hi, Pippi -- Can't believe it's already September! My plans got changed (as many did) as we moved into drought -- I ended up not planting either bed, and instead potted up all the plants and kept them on the patio all summer so I could water them. Hopefully, I'll be able to plant them this Fall -- so far August and Sept. have at least kept up, but we still need to make up about 9 inches. Yuck! So I spent this year just keeping stuff alive.

Anyway, thought I'd post a few pics since the gardens were still beautiful -- thanks to those drought tolerant superheroes -- since I didn't supplement any woodland beds or meadow beds.

Pippi, - Thanks! I don't have any degrees, just am retired and so have the luxury of doing exactly as I'd like -- and that's spend LOTS of time outside in the garden. I began gardening in 2005, so am just coming up to 8 years. My DH is a Science Fiction nerd and has no interest in gardening - but as he says, he helps tremendously by supporting anything I want to do. I use the red mulch only for paths to add color, and need to renew each year just because the color fades so much. I use hard wood mulch or straw for all the beds. All the woodland beds have a 7/8 page layer of newspapers under the mulch, which almost completely eliminates the need for weeding.

I love CB because it is the improved Moonbeam, so much stronger, denser foliage, and reblooms dependably throughout the summer. It sounds quite similar to Zagreb -- I'll have to try it.

Here's a few pics from last May. It was a great start to the season. I'll be adding more in the next week or so --