Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Annual Choice Trend, 5 by birder17

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright birder17

In reply to: Annual Choice Trend

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Annual Choice Trend
birder17 wrote:
Gita, I would love to have some Angelonia seeds. I really like the plants and they bloom all summer. I will send you an envelope with postage. It is very kind of you to offer seeds. I will check out your seed list.

nutsaboutnature: Here's what I do regarding WS: I go to the re-cycle center and get as many jugs as I want to work with. I clean them with a little soapy water and Clorox. Rinse them four times, and they will be clean. Then, use a soldering iron to put holes in the jugs. Then, cut them all the way around except for the handle--that will work as a hinge. I use a knife to start with, then use kitchen scissors to complete the cutting. Dampen your seed starting soil and put it in your jug, put your seed per directions and put a label INSIDE the jug and label it on the out side as well. Putting a label inside assures you of identification later. Use duck tape on three sides of the jug. You don't have to put the tape all the way around. I put my jugs on my deck on the south side of my home.
I know you didn't ask for this information, but I wanted to share it as it works really well for me. Everyone has their own way of WS. You should be able to do all of this in one day or at least two. I do a lot of my perennials this way. They grow from seed, transplant into cells, then, out in the garden in the fall to get established before winter. Planting perennials in the fall is soooo much easier than trying to water them and baby them all through the summer. I still have to water them etc., but they are in one location, and they don't get missed or forgotten.

Today, I am going to plant my Digitalis purpurea 'Apricot Beauty' and Digitalis 'Glittering Prizes'.

1. Winter Sow Jug
2. Cell pots I put the seedlings in
3. Angelonia
4. Transplanted from Jugs
5. Ready to plant outside. These are the Digitalis 'Glittering Prizes' Very robust.

I got a little carried away.