Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: My, my grandma, What big ears you have!, 5 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: My, my grandma, What big ears you have!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My, my grandma, What big ears you have!
Gitagal wrote:
Bummer--Just wrote along Post here and went to Google a place to show you and myst have "X"'ed it out accidentally.
Sometimes it is an art ti know when to click on "back" and NOT on the "X" to close it.
This usually happens to me when I have opened a link to a place and c/p it--and them want to get back to
the post i was writing. BAM! Gone!!!

Talking about Banana Plants ----

Anyway---I was mentioning a wonderful Nursery here--just a couple of miles from my house.
Many of you may remember "Chapel Hill Nursery" as the place I face painted for them at their BIG fall
Festivals for 17 years.
Now they have gone to smaller festivals--every weekend in October. They stil do all the great things..
Pit Pork--music--petting zoos--rides--and all kinds of food booths. Need to go back and enjoy this one more time...

They are open for B-Day parties for kids and "field Trips as well. They have all kinds of animals and a few G-Houses--
and the owner (Russel) also raises Clydesdale Horses as a hobby.

Anyway--to keep some money flowing in in the dog days of summer--they have started also selling veggies
and fruits and eggs and garden supplies. It truly ids a nice place...
So--I have been dropping by there lately to p/u this and that. Went there a couple days ago--and saw these amazing
Banana plants by their HUGE Koi pond. The landscaping all around this place is beyond awesome!!!
I noticed the huge clump of Banana trees. maybe 8' tall and asked Mike--the other owner--how they winter these over?
He shrugged it off and said they do not bother with that. They just dig them up and get rid of them...

My mouth must have stayed open for 5 minutes....HUHHHHH????? I said! Don't you know how many people
would lobe to have these???? Always thinking of all of the DG'ers here....
I continued---Besides--you have a horse bard you could keep them in (He said they are not heated).
I said--You have Greenhouses and other out-buildings....NOPE!! NOPE!!! Not gonna do it! Mike said!

SOOOO--You all came to my mind.....I will try to get some pictures of these plants (with permission--of course)
and maybe some of you may want to drive over here and get these as they are digging them up--??????????????

Not sure what I am getting myself into here......maybe it would not work--but it is worth a try.
Let me know--and I will go over there and wheel and deal....

Here is a link to the Nursery. Check out all the side links to get the full impact of what they are all about.
VERY community oriented...They hold kid's B-Day parties--field trips---Petting zoos---fairs with food and music and rides, etc...

http://perryhall.patch.com/listings/chapel-hills-farm-nurser...

Let me see if I can grub up some pictures from my days there-----