Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: August 2012, very hot and very dry., 5 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: August 2012, very hot and very dry.

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of August 2012, very hot and very dry.
shortleaf wrote:
Here is my Chainlink Cholla, (anyway, that's what I think it is..lol), after I cut some and put cuttings of it in holes. - I'd like to see if I can get a fuller, bushier look on it, instead of a couple stems and a big, sparse crown and a sickly looking cactus! That's a potted up SpiderPlant baby that isn't really a baby anymore and I think it now has it's own babies from all indications.

I'm doing that also with my Philodendron 'Micans', I left some long stragglers because I plan to cut them off and try to make 2 or 3 more plants before the warm is over. -

Here is a couple of Oak seedlings, a Swamp White Oak seedling (the acorn is from Powell Gardens Arboretum in 2004 along a walkway, Quercus Bicolor) and a Chinkapin Oak seedling (from an acorn from Lake Jacomo Park in Independence, MO.) that both are back with new leaves after the original ones fell off in the extremely hot weather, to conserve energy. In the next 2 photos they are in order Swamp White Oak and then Chinkapin. - The Chinkapin Oak's (Quercus muehlenbergii) round lobed leaves are pretty easy to distinguish in the White Oak family and the Swamp White Oak too.

This Forsythia you'd think hasn't had any water in months but I water it every day! The poor thing acts like it's neglected, that must be a survival tactic or something by an invasive! A cutting of it got picked up in the mailbox just today, on it's way to juhur's.