Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Karen – Yes I am taking my medication, in fact I’m taking so many bloody pills I’m rattling! I seemed to come good for a couple of days but last night I was pretty breathless again and had to spend the night in my lounge chair as every time my head hit the pillow I started coughing, but I imagine these things take time and I’m pretty impatient as I have so much I have to do.

I’m sure one day your brom garden will look like a display; however, unfortunately you are suffering from the same problem as a lot of us also have, called LOAF (Lack Of Available Funds)

Colleen – I’m so sorry I suggested ripping out your garden in the corner for a shade house as I had no idea it was a memory garden for your son, and I’m sure your new plantings will look just great when they all flower and I’d love to see another picture of them then.

I like your four pic’s, however I have doubts about “Debbie” being correctly named. It doesn’t look like mine and the colour doesn’t seem right nor do the leaves, which should be overlapping each other. However, having said all of that, it could still be the result of not having enough light. Where was it growing? If you look at the site below it has a good pic of Neo ‘Debbie’ and what it should look like:
http://bromeliad.org.au/pictures/Neoregelia/Debbie.htm

I spent part of yesterday sorting out your plants and I will get them in the post for you on Monday as well as the Tree Fern and Bird's Nest Fern. I also have to send Jean a Tree Fern and some "bits and pieces" as well; although I suspect she thinks I’ve forgotten, but I just get things done much slower these days. There are a few other parcels for other “brom mates” also, and hopefully I’ll get them all posted off on Monday too.

Shirley – I know what you say about other priorities holding up your shade house construction, I seem to have the same problem and am still trying to finish a “make over” I started some months back, however I tend to now follow the old saying of “slow and steady wins the race”.

Those terracotta sculptures are truly amazing aren’t they? It’s a pity we don’t all still use terra cotta pots, otherwise that would be a good way of storing them and crating a feature at the same time

I’ll finish with a few more of Chanin’s pic’s of the Noong Nook bromeliads.

All the best, Nev.

P.S. Sorry if the pic's seem a bit small, but this is the second time I've tried to post these; when I posted them previously, DG "ate them"!!! I expect they weren't small enough so I've reduced them even more.