Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone - Just a quick visit today as I have to go out and help with the shopping this morning. I’ve just about finished dividing ad re-potting all of my Ae. recurvata types now with just a few of the larger ones to do. I didn’t think they were looking as well as they usually do and when I looked at the name tags, some hadn’t had any attention since 2010, so that explains it.

Jean – Is there no end to your talents, now you’re into the Teddy Bear production, what will it be next?

What you say about your fertilising is just what a friend of mine does, she grew orchids for many years and now brom’s and she has her fertilising programme down to a fine art with no measuring implements in sight and her plants are beautiful. I usually just write down the quantities for people (myself included) who don’t have the skill to accurately apply the correct quantities without the need to measure.

Speaking of pests, I haven’t seen any in my yard this year either and I don’t use insecticides, maybe it’s been too cold for them.

Teresa – Snow? Definitely not a place I would live; I saw snow once and that was enough for me and I’m quite happy to give my share to anyone who wants it.

xNeophytum ‘Galactic Warrior’ seems to be everyone’s favourite and it’s interesting to remember that it originally came as a sport from xNeophytum ‘Ralf Davis’
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=xNEOPHYTUM&id=9462#9462

My dear friend who recently passed away had won a prize with her plants of this particular brom every year since I joined the society and said she didn’t do anything special to them except have a chat with them each day; draw your own conclusions, but I've seen the results..

Brian – From what I saw of Masters (and I only went to the garden section), I don’t think they’ll win me over from Bunnings. It just seemed to be a giant “cold” shop with no heart whereas Bunning always seems warm and friendly. There was once a saying “A house is not a home” and I would liken Bunnings to a "home" and Masters to a "house" (albeit a big cold one).

Since I had the knee injection I am getting around a bit better (touch wood) so while it lasts I’m getting into all the overdue re-potting.

Your shade house is starting look good; I’ll bet you can’t wait until you move the plants in. Like everyone else, I expect you’ll post some pic’s of the finished object and then we can all have a drool.

I’ll finish with the pictures of the proposed new show “flyers” and would be appreciative of your comments.

All the best, Nev.