Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 4 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi Brian and anyone else who's looking in. Was a weird day here yesterday and this morning now 5.30 and its already feeling warm and humid so who knows, maybe a bit of rain around.

Regarding Wurthmann's Midnight; like Shirley, I would suggest a bit less light for your plant although other growers would disagree. You mention "pups" so why not try one in low light and one in medium light, (you already know the results of high light) and then you'll know what's the best for your conditions.

As for hanging the plants, I do get the occasional one that tips, but that's only when I haven't hung them right with the largest at the top. I had one that was out of sight and by the time I noticed it, the pot was horizontal and the plants were all still upright as the plants had automatically adapted themselves so their vase was uppermost and still able to capture any rain.......... Ain't nature great?

That plant in the third pic is one I swapped with Trish; It's a beautiful and most unusual plant. That's the advantage of a small forum like this, you get to know and trust the members and it's easy to swap or buy plants from them and you know what you are getting is the real thing. What we usually do when we see one we like is ask to be put on a list for a pup when one becomes available. When it does you can either swap for it or buy it whatever suits.

That's certainly a short post from me today, makes up for all the drawn out long ones of the past.

I'll finish today with firstly another pic from the Brisbane Show; this time a massive specimen plant of a Deuterocohnia (which one I don't know). To grow a plant of this size is really quite an achievement and something that has taken years to achieve. I don't know who the grower is but it seems they have deservedly won an impressive trophy for their efforts. Pic.2 is another of Jack Koning's new hybrids, Vr. 'Snows of Mauna' x 'Montezuma's Gem', Pic.3 is one I recently managed to get a pup of from a brom friend and is an Allan Freeman hybrid called Neo. 'Delicate Delight'. Pic.4 is an unusual Tillandsia NOID growing around the base of a tree fern, does anyone recognise it? Pic.5 is of a few more of my pups, just potted and waiting to be hung somewhere.

All the best, Nev.