Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 4 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Isn’t it great to see posts appearing on the site once more; I must say, I’d just about given up and was tossing up whether or not it was worth continuing. Anyway it seems the site has a reprieve and members are posting again.

Just one question though; are people still having problems with advert’s and difficulty posting pic’s? From what I read, most of the problems posting pic’s are coming from laptops, IPads and mobiles, and the old PC’s don’t seem to be having any troubles at all. I remember some time back when (I think it was Wendy) was posting pic’s and they always showed on DG sideways. I think now that she was using a laptop as well. Anyway as I only have an old PC, it’s up to those of you with all of these “mod-cons” to sort out.

Trish – Those pic’s I posted were of the xNiduregelia ‘Something Special’ seedlings, not the xNiduregelia ‘Something Special’ parent. I posted those just to show the vast differences between the seedlings with the first couple looking like poor quality Neo’s and the next three plants more resembling the xNiduregelia ‘Something Special’ parent except they tended more toward orange in colour whereas the parent is more toward red (See Pic.1).

Don’t get me wrong, the other forums get quiet also but because they are bigger, there is always someone to communicate with. Like Shirley said the other day, we are a tight nit little group and it’s a pity we don’t live in the same area, then we could really talk brom’s.

Has anyone heard from Ian? I saw he posted a couple of pic’s on a brom site on Face Book and I invited him to post them here as well but nothing, so it looks like he’s time poor as well. Colleen and Wendy are others we haven’t seen for a while and that member from up Darwin way. Maybe this type of forum just isn’t their thing, who knows?

Great colour and some similarity in ‘Cane fire’ and ‘Hot Gossip’. Your Hot Gossip looks quite different to mine so I’ll post a pic of mine for comparison.(Pic.3)

Also your Neo. ‘Domino’ looks very much like one I swapped once with the name Neo.’Auroa’. I’ve never been able to find it on the BCR and I think it is wrongly named and it is possibly Neo ‘Domino’.(Pic.4)

I have a Neo. ‘Blushing Tiger’ on which I trialled a method for producing extra pups. Last year it was a Mother and three pups, I removed the old dead mother and gave it the treatment and this year there are either 19 or 20 pups. Just for the record if you think I’m telling “porkies”, ask Brian because he would have seen it at the show. (Pic.2)

That’s a nice looking forest of Vrieseas you have around your pool and they all look very happy as does you Neo ‘Sam Smith’. The one you sent me is just starting to colour up in the centre so hopefully another month and it will look like yours.

Shirley – Sorry to hear the back is still giving you trouble, I know just what you’re going through, been there and still there. When it gets unbearable and the doc suggests an operation, get three more opinions and then only do it when you can’t get up off your hands and knees. I tried it and the problem is worse than it was when it started; but I guess it could be much worse as I’ve heard of people finishing up in wheelchairs after spinal surgery.

Have you tried that site that Jean told us about “Adblock Plus’? It worked well for me and I haven’t had a problem since. A computer wise friend of mine told me that this problem can sometimes happen when you have more than one program blocking the adverts as they then begin to work against each other and the advert’s aren’t blocked.

Nice Vrieseas in your pic’s, Aussie Beauty ‘Kerry’ reminds me when Jack named several of the Aussie Beauty grex after some of his brom growing lady friends. There was Debbie, Eden, Frances, Juliana, Kerry and Tamera.

Brian -You’ve done well, the new thread; works just like it should so thanks for doing it for us. Glad you didn’t mention the “Cranky Old Man”.

Teresa – I think hubby has a little way to go before he finally completes building a plane around that door; but then I guess you have to start somewhere.

That’s enough from me today and the pic’s are firstly xNiduregelia 'Something Special', Pic. 2 is a side view of my family of Neo. ‘Blushing Tiger’ pups. Pic.3 is my Neo.’Hot Gossip’ for comparison with Trish’s plant. Pic.4 is the Neo I bought as Neo ‘Auroa’ and which I now think is Neo ‘Domino, and finally Pic.5 which is Neo.’Jasper Pink’.

All the best, Nev.