Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES AND ADDICTS - JULY 2014, 4 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES AND ADDICTS - JULY 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES AND ADDICTS - JULY 2014
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone.
I haven't intended to be missing for so long. time just flies by and one minute its a weekend and then it's a weekend again. don't know where the days are going. it will be Christmas again sooooooo soon.

I discovered yesterday that my dislocated shoulder may have caused more damage inside than I would ever have imagined. I thought it healed very quickly and I've been starting weights again but only at low levels. now I find out that the shoulder is still inflamed and every time I lift a weight or move it the wrong way I'm reinflaming it again and again. so I should have had it checked out when it happened. The gp and the physio both told me the personal trainer at the gym has caused my problems and they both hate PTs with a vengeance. they see so many patients that have been injured by the actions of PTs. so no gym for me for a while.

I've been having early nights lately with FB playing up so badly. It freezes up and when it comes back to life I have to log in again. Eventually it wants a login too often and I shut down in disgust and go to bed. Not sure if it is a FB problem or a laptop problem as I can't even access the card games on the laptop at present. I hate technology when it won't do what it should do.

Speaking of technology, we have had some more plants disappearing so we purchased a home security system and installed it last Sunday. At first we aimed the cameras at the front gate, the doors and one aimed down the back yard. we learned from our mistakes and the camera upstairs on back deck gave us a great picture of our deck and the birds coming infor a feed but it couldn't focus on the deck up close and the yard down far so the deck was lovely and clear but the yard was just a dark blur. EPIC FAIL. so we turned that camera round to aim down the stairs in case we had a burglar. One camera was at the front of the carport aimed at the gate and we could see the front fence to right of the gate but the other one at the front of the carport was aimed back at the house in case someone came to the front doors down or upstairs. That night we lost plants to the left of the gate with no camera coverage. a whole clump of aechmea correia-araujoi which was growing on the fence. there were at least 5 large plants and at least 2 small pups on each big plant. we were so annoyed we moved the camera to aim at that corner and the next night he came back for more plants and at 3.48 we got lovely image of a guy in a high viz jacket walking past and checking out if anyone was up then coming back and raiding the right corner before moving back to where the C-A was and decided to leave the old mother and one pup left there. he moved on to left corner and snipped zip ties and took one whole pot from inside the fence and removed about 13 clumps of the super fireball from on top of the fence before walking back towards the park. so police have a report and we've saved a copy of the footage onto a USB stick for them. we get up through the night now and always come out to turn the monitor on to see if anyone is about.

I have checked in a few times and read the posts but haven't logged in to post a reply mainly because I can't remember the password and couldn't find my book until tonight.
Pic 1: Nev I've attached a picture of one of your seedlings neo rosea striata x gold fever which is looking so nice at present. When I showed Johnny today he took it and put it in a totem by the pond near the back patio. we sit in the sun there every day and can see it colouring up now. it is a stunner but is it different to any others from that grex???
Pic 2: is a recurvata x chantinii. is this one of yours Nev?
Pic 3: is a pendula aechmea but we don't have a name for it. we have 2 baskets down the back and both have multiple flower spikes. it is a stunner
Pic4: is the C-A clump that was on the fence. it had grown since this pic was taken and had a lot more mature plants and lots of pups attached.
I'm ready for my bed now so i'll say goodnight. We are getting ready for a sale this weekend so big days and really needing my bed. I get some time off tomorrow though to have scans on my shoulder to see if any damage needing treatment.

Night everyone. Wendy