Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: April 2014 Returning to the great outdoors!, 4 by greenbrain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright greenbrain

In reply to: April 2014 Returning to the great outdoors!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of April 2014   Returning to the great outdoors!
greenbrain wrote:
Belated birthday wishes Pepper! I hope that you enjoyed your special day.

Yesterday was extremely busy for me with yard work & volunteering at the community feeding. I guess that I didn't log on yesterday? Ended up at the ER late with Chloe screaming that her ear hurt. Yep, an ear infection & she's sleeping good now. Kids are so resilient. I'll return her to Carla tonight (who's still in much pain from the impacted wisdom teeth extractions), & I'm back @ work tomorrow morning. I guess Carla & Chloe will have to look after each other.

I've been getting some yard work in here & there & uncovered a nice size garter snake yesterday. I deposited a huge pile of debris on the curb for the city to pick up; the evidence of my hard labor. It's pretty windy here today, but the sun is shining. I'm going back out to finish the job as soon as the temps rise closer to 50. Expected high around 60 today. That wind is going to beat me up!

I'll try to catch up on reading & viewing pics later; like bp I've fallen behind. Recent photos from before I cleaned up the yard. Tulip tree across the alley. The wind has since blown the petals off the tulip tree and cherry bushes. I now have grape hyacinths; if Chloe hasn't picked them! LOL Also, the tulips have huge buds & should be opening soon. The hollyhocks that I planted last year are up, so I should get some nice blooms this summer. The hydrangeas and witch hazel have leaves. It's nice to see that these plants survived the 2014 Polar Vortex. I have more dead wood than usual on my tea roses to prune back; especially the "Iceberg" (how ironic), but all rose bushes have leaves now. The blackberries also have leaves & I've found several self-layered canes that have nice roots.

I'll try to get back on later between gardening & providing Chloe with some grandma "TLC". : )