Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Common Spicebush (Lindera benzoin), 4 by Rickwebb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Rickwebb

Subject: Common Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Common Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)
Rickwebb wrote:
My first three photos show spicebush in my backyard I planted in the natural, native garden in yellow bloom now in mid-April, the usual time because of some warm days getting the blooming sequence back towards normal here in se PA. This plant is dioecious, so it has separate genders; most plants are not, they are monoecious. The male plants have bigger showier flower clusters while the female plants display smaller, less showy yellowish flower clusters. The first two photos are the male plant and the third is a branch of the female. The forth photo shows my one female plant bearing the red football fruit in late summer that the birds love. The fifth photo shows a specimen in front of some forest developing yellow fall color in October, though not totally full yet. This really nice native plant is neat and clean and is holding its ground against the invasive Asian plants as Amur Honeysuckle and Multiflora Rose around the forest, and it is not eaten by the over-abundant deer.