Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

It rained all day at work which was lovely except it’s delaying some concrete works that should have started already, anyway not much we can do about that and besides I think it is great that a lot of areas are getting so much rain, especially those drought stricken farmers that have been really suffering from what appeared to be an endless drought; hopefully this rain is going them some good, just wish there was much more coming their way but it looks like it will be over soon.

Hi Nev looks like just you and me today! Great to hear you got heaps accomplished even with the rain; like you I always find plenty to do when it’s raining and normally bring in trolleys full of broms that need pups cut off etc. or pot up cuttings that I have taken around the garden to give as presents or sell at the next market I have.

Nev in relation to your seedlings that need urgent re-potting, what about getting together a good group of “Working B” friends to pop over and help you re-pot them all and entice them by throwing a bit of a BBQ and throw in some beer, wine etc. so it becomes an enjoyable day for everyone. It is times like this I wish we lived closer as I know I would really enjoy kicking back re-potting seedlings and having a good chin wag with you about broms and life in general.

Nev our local council like yours is proactive in making sure drains are maintained etc. especially given all the low lying areas around that get subjected to either storm surges or king tides etc.

Nev please do not feel like you have made a mistake on the feedback you gave me about Neo. ‘Jinx’, whose to know what it will grow up to be like and at least when it has I can check for sure and post pics on here so we can compare it to that of the one on the BCR. Nev I think it is great when you question the name of a brom given all the years of experience you have both hybridising and growing broms for all these years; and I think it is great because it makes us take note and really study our broms more carefully to hopefully ensure proper identification of our broms - So Watch This Space!

Nev thanks that would be great when you are ready if you could please provide me with a list of broms/bills you have for sale. On another note that Miltonia Orchid you kindly posted a pic of we both though it to be very beautiful and what lovely colors it has. Joe is really pleased at the moment because he has a lot of orchids coming into flower at present in our nursery brought on with the change in temperatures; we will have to post pics of some of the ones that have flowered over the weekend if I remember as I always get a bit brom side-tracked then he he. Pleased also to see the pic of how well your Ginger plant is doing, I am thinking it may be he Pink Ginger plant that survived so will have to get some Dwarf Red Ginger seedling growing for you so I can post some to you in say about 3 or 4 months.

Attached are pics of my new broms:

Pic 1 & 2 - Neo. ‘Sonic Boom’ Albo
Pic 3 & 4 – Neo. ‘Sonic Boom’ Lineated

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish