Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: SPRING AMONG OUR BROMELIADS..., 4 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: SPRING AMONG OUR BROMELIADS...

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of SPRING AMONG OUR BROMELIADS...
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Much cooler yesterday fortunately, but I still didn't get to spend any time in the garden as it was again another day at the Light Rail Museum. I would have preferred to have spent the days working with the brom's but I think it's also just as necessary to spend some time with my mates as well, so I'm spreading my hobbies and not putting all my eggs in the one basket so to speak. As for this morning, well it's cooler still. Two days ago it was shorts and singlet, today it's "trackies" and cardigan.....crazy weather.

Tash - The pic of the plant you asked about was on the 17th and not the 18th that's why I gave you the name of an Aechmea and not a Neo. The plant in question is Neo.''Ladd's Gem'; it's one of Allan Ladd's hybrids which I bought from Ross Little. I think I currently have about seven on the waiting list for a pup and it's just decided to put on a “go slow” strike for me. I know there's a couple of members from this forum with their names down as well and they were the first two if it ever produces enough pups for me.

Your mini Neo. NOID looks a bit like an unregistered one I have called Neo. 'Aleena', although I'll have to take a pic and compare them side by side to be sure. The one I have is very light variable and is almost green with a few burgundy spots when grown in the shade and needs very bright light to bring out the best colour.

Cody – ADHD - Seems like they have a name for everything these days. When we were kids we were up at the crack of dawn, never stopped all day and went to bed at 7.30pm to recharge our batteries; I wonder if we had been born in this era if we would have been diagnosed as ADHD also.
I still think it's better than seeing kids stuck in front of a TV or computer playing games all day or walking around with those things stuck in their ears and their whole attention focused on their mobile phone whilst they cross the road against the lights because they aren't paying attention to what's happening around them......... I know I'm an “old fart” and have old ideas, but that's just me.
Anyway it's good Alex is back home with you again and you'll be able to do things together on the coming weekend.

Trish – There are countless people like yourself with some type of health problem which they feel rules them out of these organisations which help others in their time of need. Nothing could be further from the truth, and if you check out the site below and read all about the various roles played by the S.E.S. as just one example, you will see what I mean, and if training is required it's all provided free as well. I started my thirty year career in ambulance/rescue type work in heavy industry as a direct result of initially being trained in first aid whilst volunteering with the N.S.W. S.E.S. So it can also lead on to other things as well. http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/ses/about.asp

My Neo. 'Deep Rose Blush' isn't anything like your plant; it is only a small/medium size grower with no markings on the leaves like your plant and as the name suggests the centre is a deep rose pink in colour.

Trish – I'd love to have a brom sale to make more room but all of the work involved in setting it up is getting a bit too much for us I'm afraid. If I was to have a sale I would like to do it properly and display the plants in all of their glory, but when I think of the work involved in our past sales, it's become a bit of a “turn off” I'm afraid. I guess I'll just have to keep selling a few by mail order and hope to keep numbers under control that way.

Thanks for the ID on Neo's. 'Imperfecta' and 'Cane Fire', both beautiful eye catching plants, if possible could you add my name to your list for a pup of each if and when you get one looking for a good home?

What a great pic to finish up with, only one pic though? I guess quality is better than quantity anyway, and what a great array of colour.

Well that's me finished for today and still no new pic's of mine; fortunately Peter Coyle of Totara Waters in N.Z. Has given me permission to show you some of his new hybrids from Neo.'Apricot Nectar' x Neo.'Jewellery Shop'.

All the best, Nev.