Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Catching up in the garden is it possible?, 4 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Catching up in the garden is it possible?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Catching up in the garden is it possible?
Pfg wrote:
WWK, so glad the rose is happy, it's The Fairy :-)

Are your sunflowers H Laethyris? I have one plant, and I'm already worried that it's going to take over the world. This spring all of a sudden it was coming up in several places 3' from the main plant. It's only 2 years old! I moved it back into a corner, still full sun, and I'm watching it like a hawk, Roundup at the ready. My one Maximiliani is also exuberant, but is expanding in its clump.

All iris are planted, Halleluliah! Only 4 ended up in pots, along with another bunch I've been acquiring over the summer, waiting until I can get their spots ready.

I'm re-working the border along the top wall this year, yet again, hopefully for the last time. One end has always been alternating Daylilies and peonies half way down, then Siberian Iris from the big boxwood to the barrel. I'd like to unify the two sections into one long line of Iris, Peonies and Daylilies, with the SIBs staying in the wider section behind them.

I pushed the SIBs back and added Peonies and Daylilies to that section over the last couple of years, now I want to widen the narrow near end, spread out the Daylilies, and add TBIs to the whole line. I'm replacing one large white peony clump with Coral Charm, and adding the white to the far end.

I also plan to add later blooming daylilies, already have a few. I recently learned that these season extenders have been a focus of hybridizers since the 60's or 70's or so, long after my predecessor's time here. I'm sure he would have done it too.

Now that the weather has changed and the lower border is done (mostly, lol) I can get started!

1,2: The near end
3: The far end
4: The long view, 2012