Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013, 4 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, It has been a good day weather wise and I have been expecting my shadecloth to be delivered today. Didn't happen and there is nothing that I can do about it until Monday after work. I finish before my supplier(Fernlands). I think the trouble would be with the courier here.
Nev I had to cull those seedlings as they were overcrowded, so I took what I hope I could look after and toss the rest.98% would have been better than what I kept, maybe or maybe not. Anyway there gone.Culling is a necessary part of life. We used to do so with the sheep when I was a kid and I guess it reminds me of youth and farm days. There are some broms I just won't try here because their natural habitat is too diferent from mine. Also from locals experimentation and failures. If I had more time I could possibly look after more.Maybe in the future. That Chianti Jean is still in full sun from sunrise to about 4.00 pm and is in the NE corner of the garden. It's glossy leaves are dull and it is a discolour that supposedly cannot take the cold. It will burn, that is for sure but when.

Jean, I like the look of your Chantini Rose. If it doesn't gain stripes on the upper side of the leaves just hang it at eye level to take advantage of the stripes you can see. It is possible that it has been overfertilised or grown in low light. Keep up the seed growing and get good culling habits early and it will never be a problem.

Cody Ised to have a game, I've forgotten it's name but in it I had to place all the states in their correct positions. I think it was a drag the name and drop into the correct position. If it was incorrect the name would go back to the list. There was a time limit on it. After a while I could beat the clock, but that was a few years ago. I have also learned a bit of USA history over the years, a lot from TV and the movies.I also have a few online friends there as well.
Here is a hug a smile and a wave.
Have a good one all.Ian
Pic 1 Neo Lime and Lava
Pic 2 Neo Lime Fizz
Pic 3 Neo Gold Dazzler (finish the painting Nev)
Pic 4 Neo Birdrock
Pic 5 Neo Caroline.