Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013, 4 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013
weed_woman wrote:
good morning all. Hi Debi! Long time no see. I was only thinking of you yesterday, when i was looking at a couple of succulents we traded many years ago. How are you keeping? I can't help much with identifying your plants, other than to agree that photo 2 and 3 are either Neo. macwilliamsii or compacta. I think Compacta is a much smaller plant. As for photos 4-5 you may have to wait for a flower, and maybe the centre will flush some colour then, or as nev suggests, introduce it to a bit of morning sun, slowly, to see if the foliage changes colour.
Hello Cody, I used to have a peice of paper with the conversions from Farenheit to Celsius, but seem to have lost it. It has cooled back to the normal 22-25 degress during the day, which is still amazing for this time of year. I get my exercise by riding around the block on my pushy (push bike) with the dogs. It makes the 3 km go in 20 minutes instead of 40 when i walk. I only go at my dogs pace though, no making them gallop!
Shirley, four stunning photos there, with all of them having great shape and colour. I've been doing the 'pick up stick' thing this week, and hopefully the worst of the wind is over. I am trying to get a bonfire built, as I suspect the bush fire season may be bought forward, as it was last year. Its still smokey out, so theres something burning somewhere. My main task in the garden is just to water a spot every day until we get some rain. The lawns haven't gron much in about three weeks (noice) and neither have the weeds....much.
Have you been keeping well, and have you had much time in your garden?
Nev, I have a Neo 'Gespacho' somewhere, but it looked more like yours, from memory, and i was very dissapointed with it. I like neo. 'Camelot' more, although it is a smaller plant, but more stable.
With the styrafoam and Elks, as small plants they are quite light, so a hook of wire into the back is enough to suspend them. I usually then mount them to a palm tree trunk, as soon as they begin to cover the edge of the styrafoam, but would imagine it wouldn't work with larger specimens, if they are to be kept mounted on it, and not allowed to atach to another support.
Well, I still have the 20cm gap, but i am working from the tablet, so maybe its a moile device problem? I shall try the PC later and see how it looks. I am glad to have the five photos back in line.
Nev, that link has just way too many photos to look at right now! I will have to come back and have a browse when time allows. I am glad we have five photos, and its a vast improvement on the original one we were only allowed for years!
photo one is for Ian and shows a clump of Aechmea kertezsiae
Photo two is for Cody, showing a clump of NOID guzmanias in the garden
Photo three is for Nev, showing how well his xNeophytum 'Galactic Warrior' pup has done!
Photo four is the blooms of billbergia curlew
Photo five is for the orchid admirers. Oncidium 'Sharry baby' that smells like chocolate.
Hello to everyone looking in. About 650views on this thread, so i know you're out there!
Well done to everyone for all the photos. Its a pleasure looking at what you've all been doing and growing.
Sue