Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Hi Nev great to hear you found some hidden brom treasures whilst you dead leafed some of your Neo’s. I need to do another pup stock take as I had a quick look on the weekend and noticed many more popping their heads up that I am thrilled about.

Nev thanks yes totally agree I should use the “Numbering System” for my NOIDS or things could get very confusing if I try growing seedlings from other NOIDS down the track. So far I have 2 x trays of the same NOID that have germinated. Best to get into good habits sooner rather than later, so I am like a sponge Nev when you pass on such valuable information. Now I will pass on this valuable advice to my mum as I sent her some of the NOID seeds and like me she wants to learn as much about bromeliads as she can and has taken out a bunch of books from the library (as she does not own a computer) to learn as much as she can, plus we are always on the phone weekly chating about broms.

Nev please to hear you like the random garden shots, I could definitely see you doing the same in the garden bed you have been working on and can just picture it full of colour with beautiful broms and gingers everywhere.

Ah Nev breaking all the rules posting orchid pics, doesn’t it feel great! Great pics you posted of all those beautiful orchids. I showed Joe and he liked them all.

Nev check out the Bill’ Hallelujahs’ that I had growing in different light but finally brought them together once the hot weather started backing off. I know you will prefer the one on the right showing more green then the one on the left. I can’t help but luv them both as they really make a statement sitting side by side like this; mind you the one on the right still has a lot of growing to do. The one on the left has produced about 3 x pups in the one very small pot; I find they do far better under crammed conditions then if given a larger pot.

Hi Tash pleased to hear you like the Vanda pics I posted. We have some in our nursery and some hanging in the mango tree with irrigation running up tree limbs to them so they get a daily spritz as they luv plenty of water and to be fed weekly weakly. The only issue is we have to look at moving them when the mangos are on or fruit dropping could possibly damage them so we will have to move them to another tree till all the mangos are gone.

Tash pleased to hear your fingers are all nearly back to normal apart from your thumb. Know how it feels to have bamboo up your thumb nail as once did it to myself when using bamboo stakes for my tomatoes and got a splinter through my garden glove and up my nail, it hurt like buggery and I had to get Joe to pull it out because it dug in deep and the pain was felt for a long time afterwards and my thumb swelled up. I ended up having to put it in scorching hot salty water to try to draw some of the crap that was in it. I stay clear of using them now.

Tash you have posted some beautiful brom pics; what do you feed them to get them that big and glossy they look awesome.

Hi Shirley great brom pics, especially liked your Vriesea’s ‘Platynema Variegata’ and ‘Forrest’. My ‘Platynema Variegata’ is starting to colour up as well but yours appears to have a head start on mine.

Anyway time to head off.

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 to 5 - Random Garden shots