Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Hi Shirley pleased to hear you found your camera in your laundry and that it was not out somewhere in the garden for the sprinklers to attack.

Shirley nice pics you posted, I especially liked Pic 3 Ae. ‘Robert Seidelii’ because of its bright Pink Flamingo colour which softens to look of those big bity teeth. I also adored its cute little pup.

Hi Nev pleased to hear you got a bit more done with your garden makeover, you will have to post pics when you’re all done. Thanks for the insight to the history with the BCR and FCBS websites, where would we be without them thanks to the wonderful two men for the endless amount of work they contribute to these sights.

Nev mum rang me today to say she has potted up the broms I sent her and sown the neo seeds and was over the moon. She is already teaching her friends on how to cut old leaves off broms (the proper way) and how to prepare a brom mix and pot them up etc; so I am over the moon how much she is enjoying them.

Nev sorry to tease you with those orchid pics, I could not help but show everyone how beautiful the flowers are on them while they are out. Thanks Nev I will write those one’s you mention for Joe to keep an eye out for as I adore the bluish purple flowers the most out of all the vanda’s. I will have to check one that we have that has bluish purple flowers and see if it matches the names you mentioned.

Nev thankfully no “albinos” seedling in the tray, they are all lush green, it was just the camera playing with the lighting. These were seedlings from a NOID that I really liked because the brom was so stunning and lush. A really hot pink colour with darker pink spots that everyone comments about when they see it, so I was thrilled to bits to see it had self-pollinated – NOID x SELF?

Hi Sue so great to hear you got some good weather today, hope your dogs enjoyed their bath time.

Hi Sue thanks please to hear you liked my Vanda’s. In answer to your question no we have never propagated our own Vanda’s and I would not know where to begin. I do have a Vanda that has about 4 x Vanda seedlings growing off it and am going to try separating the larger of them all in a couple of weeks and see how I go but I want to do a bit of reading up on things first to avoid at all costs killing it.

Sue luved the pic you posted of your Ae. ‘Silver Streak’ in flower, how great do they look all in flower.

Hi Bree pleased to hear you liked my Vanda’s, Joe brought me one a couple of years ago and we have been buying them ever since but slowly because they take up a lot of room as beautiful as they are. We have two hanging in the Mango Tree and the rest are in our nursery. Yes they like to be fed weakly weekly and watered daily but dry before dark. Never heard of your Pic 1 ‘Braz-el’, I wonder what it will colour up like?

Hi Ian have a great time in Cairns and stay safe on the roads

Anyway time to head as another early wake-up tomorrow.

Happy Gardening Everyone!

Hi to anyone looking in, type us all a line!!!

Trish

Pic 1 to 5 - Random pics around garden