Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Bulbs: My bed of tulips 2013, 4 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: My bed of tulips 2013

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My bed of tulips 2013
DonnaMack wrote:
I also dig my bulbs and put in annuals. I also put in gladioluses, which I also dig to put the tulips back in. I really don't care for daylilies, and I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't like hostas. I find that the two make a dependable, but unchanging look most of the season. I can change the look of my beds every few weeks. And I save the expense of buying a lot of bulbs every year. And there is no need to hide foliage, which may be one of the reasons that people have hostas.

Here, all in the same bed.

Pic. 1 Happy Family and Weisse Berliner - multiflowering Triumphs. Then out they come - and they are stored.

Pic. 2 Same bed with Gladiolus Matchpoint installed, mirabilis jalapa growing.

And later, nicotiana alata and verbena bonariensis are added to the mix.

As the season goes on, different flowers dominate.

The three annuals are permanent residents of the bed - they just seed. The glads are pulled when they start turning brown. And bag them for the next yera. Glads multiply in storage.

And then the multiflowers tulips go back in. Or maybe a different kind of tulip. I had these combos in other places in the yard.

I think it's a lot of fun, very cost effective. It depends on what you want.

Here is what I do with the "odd men out".

Pic. 5 From batches of tulips. I put them together, hence doubles Maywonder, Angelique and Mt. Tacoma, Weisse Berliner, and White Trumphinator.