Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi All!

Nev yes the Neo Shamrock pic I posted yesterday is a mini grower, I really adore it because of its’ wonderful shape and has great colour, it really stands out amongst all the other minis I have as it is quite chubby in appearance yet most of my mini’s are more slender and longer leafed, so this one is nice because it is just that little bit different to the others.

Thanks for the link to go into to see the Gympie varieties that are out there, I did not realise there are so many out there so I can’t wait to go in and have a good look at them all.

Nev I was having the exact same conversation with a friend at work about flowering a seedling for the first time; that you just don’t know what you are going to get for the first time, possibly something very unique in amongst all the other treasures you have grown. My friend collects Orchids and has about 300+, she also grows succulents and cacti and likes to grow cacti from seed also, hence why we got onto the topic of how wonderful it would be to discover something special in amongst the seeds you have grown. It is really nice because we both bring a different plant to pop on our desk each week, my desk sits a brom and her desk sits and orchid and it really gets’ us talking about our gardens and also gets much interest from work colleagues that have never grown anything successfully in their entire life. I have given out a few broms as gifts to some of them with care instructions and they are really enjoying giving it a go. Some of them are going to bring their broms back in when they pup so I can show them when and how to remove safely. They take pics on their phones to show me how their brom is progressing and I give them advice when they need it or if I see the brom is in the wrong spot in there garden.

Nev really liked the two different pics you posted of Neo ‘Bold Streak’ x Neo Mc Williamsii in different light conditions, I recently purchased a large pup of this as was very impressed with its’ gorgeous streak marks and good solid leaves that it has. Nev your grouped brom pics are so beautiful and colourful and I really like Pic 3 where you have your little broms all in a row at the front of the larger broms in what looks like their own separate shelving, what a great idea.

Anyway time to put the kettle on, I might check in later to see if anyone else has posted a thread.

Take care everyone, speak soon and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 Neo Grace Good Girl
Pic 2 Neo Flirtation (close up)
Pic 3 Neo Flirtation
Pic 4 Some of the tree’s that shade our back yard
Pic 5 Nev my Neo Bold Streak’ x Neo Mc Williamsii is in this pic of various broms, it is a good size brom