Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all well, by the looks of all the threads I have missed during last week everyone looks to be keeping very busy in the garden indeed. Great Brom pics’ everyone, so many beautiful ones that I don’t’ have that I really want as usual. It is so great to see what everyone else is growing, how big they grown and how they colour up.

I took Friday off which was lovely and we just came back from a BIG Brom Buying Spree and I feel fantastic – so alive lol; I got such a HUGE buzz out of seeing all the beautiful colourful broms that we got to see/touch and carry and I came away feeling great because it was nice not to be in such a mad rush like usual and to be able to take our time looking, picking and choosing exactly what we wanted to take home. I doubled up on purpose on a few of my favourites which was great also. We ended up coming home with a trailer load of wonderful healthy broms and got them all at great prices. Joe even was picking out his own broms’ and putting them aside so we ended up spending twice as much and came home with so many more than I had expected. Joe kept laughing at me and said the expression on my face was like a kid in a candy store when I first walked in and saw all that was for sale. Anyway as soon as we got home I unloaded the trailer, brought them in under some cover and rehydrated them all. Now I have to spend the next couple of weekends trimming old leaves, separating large pups off still healthy looking mums, re-potting them all and spraying them for pests and checking for any signs of disease and leave them in quarantine for a good while and see how they travel. I am thrilled to bits on how much more colour these will inject into the garden. Anyway we had a great day and spent most of Saturday doing house chores , Joe mowed the lawns and I played with my broms giving them another good water, wrote all their names down in my book on how many I had of each, wrote all new labels including additional labels for each large pup that I would separate off each mum and looked to see which of the old mums I could put in my brom retirement village.

Sunday will be spent pruning and cleaning around our pool area so it looks nice and neat for Christmas as we will have a houseful of visitors and the pool area is going to get a bit of a workout especially with our friends kids who will want to live there as they don’t have a pool at home.

Sue OH MY GOSH you too have been very busy with a trailer full of broms + some lol, sounds like you did a couple of trips. That’s fantastic, you sound thrilled but terrified at the same time, just think how the garden will look by the time you are ready to enter into next years’ garden competition, even more amazing than before and you will be able to continue your theme of growing the same coloured broms in lovely rows, my friend does the same in her garden with other plants and she only has a small yard area and her garden looks beautiful.

Hi Nev thanks if you can spare a Neo Prince of Darkness that would be great. Let me know if you change your mind about the NOID I thought was Stormy Weather as the pups are growing and should be ready to detach off mum in a couple of months, and one of them I will be posting off to Bree. Nev it will be great to hear feedback on sphagnum verses other mediums for growing seedlings.

Wendy I am disappointed I do not have a spare Ensign to spare, the one I have is undergoing some tender loving care as I brought it during my brom spree cheap but it needs an overhaul so to speak and has no pups unfortunately. If I come across any on Sunday at the market I will let you know?

Wendy glad Max is back home with you both and that you get to spend some quality time together where he is most comfortable and surrounded by everything and everyone he luvs the most that matters to him.

Hi to everyone I have missed tonight, apologies but my brom spree has finally caught up with me and my eyelids are starting to get heavy lol. Think it’s time to put the kettle on as too early to go to bed just yet.

Have a great week everyone and Happy Gardening!

We took some of these pictures tonight of some of the beauties just recently purchased (Joe wanted to see how they would look taken at night) plus it’s so much nicer outside than inside at the moment with the AC turned off, we normally only put it on when we can’t stand the heat anymore, but a swim before bed and a shower straight after normally does the trick to cool down and have a better sleep.

Trish

Pic 1 Neo Kautskii
Pic 2 Neo NOID Any idea’s anyone thanks????
Pic 3 Neo Carcharodon Tiger
Pic 4 Neo? NOID Any idea’s anyone thanks???
Pic 5 Neo Mirlo