Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 4 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Sun 11th.

Hi everyone – It looks like another nice sunny day today, and a day off from my brom's; we took our grandsons over to the Illawarra Light Rail Museum this morning for a ride on the steam train, something they really love doing, and besides I was also able to check up on the bromeliad garden that our society members planted over there last year and saw how it's going as well.

Breeindy – I like your plant of Neo. 'Happy Thoughts' it has a great contrast in colours and has a bit of similarity (pattern wise) with 'Camelot'. As for Neo. 'Jewellery Shop', well you won't be disappointed with this one, it's a beauty when grown in good bright light.

Shirley – Pleased to hear you're getting a bit of rain, it's certainly the “elixir of health” and brightens up all the plants in the garden, and I like nothing more than a walk through the yard just after a nice shower as everything looks so nice and fresh and smells so good too.

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who puts things in a safe place only not to be able to find them later when I need them. I tried writing down the locations of various things in a little notebook and found that to be a great idea, but if anyone can tell me where I put the note book I'd be very grateful and the system would work much better.

As for the Vriesea seedlings, thanks for the kind offer of caring for them, but there's not too many and I think I can find enough space down here, but if as they grow and get bigger I need any help you'll be the first person I'll call on.

As for the saucer under the Vr. Ospinaes, I know it goes against all rules, but I was told about this by an “expert” and I've done it and find it worked well for me, but that's no guarantee it will work for you so keep a close watch on everything just in case.

Trish – Crook back eh? Well just don't go trying to do anything heavy until it's completely better otherwise you'll be out of commission all over Christmas; take it from someone who knows! Although I can now see by your pic's you do have a couple of willing little helpers to assist.

I'm pleased to hear that your babies have germinated and are looking good. The most important thing now is to make sure they don't dry out, and this can easily occur if you can't resist the temptation and keep opening the lid to look at them.

That Neo 'Prince of Darkness' is a favourite of mine also, even though the shape isn't up to much. It's an good grower, but you do have to get the light just right to get the nice purple colour. I have a couple of spares and if you would like to swap for something just send me a D-Mail.

As for your ? Neo 'Stormy Weather', it doesn't look much like the pic on the BCR which says Neo 'Stormy Weather' is a hybrid from Neo plutonis x Sarmentosa 'De Leon's #8; They say, it's 11” tall with leaves 2'' x 8”. When I double checked on the FCBS site I found they have it listed as a cross between Neo Concentrica 'plutonis' x Sarmentosa 'De Leon's #8. I also have a plant called Neo 'Stormy Weather' which has been around down here for years and is a deep burgundy in colour and grows to a height of about 24” tall. To complicate things even further I have also seen a miniature Neo. of the same name and once again it doesn't look anything like any of the plants mentioned above, nor is it registered. It looks like your mystery plant isn't Neo 'Stormy Weather', and even though it's a NOID, it's still an attractive plant which I'd like to have in my collection; after all, “what's in a name”?

Now a few pic's to finish with, Pic 1 is just a progress shot of my garden make-over. Still a long way to go but I'm getting there. The next four are new Neoregelia hybrids from New Zealand bred by Peter Coyle of “Totara Waters”. Peter also took the pic's and has given me his kind permission to use them here, so although Dave's Garden will show the copyright as mine, it's really Peter's. Pic 2 is Neo. Totara 'Gold', Pic 3 is Neo. Totara 'Hot Lips', Pic 4 is a new Neo. hybrid as yet unregistered and Pic 5 is Neo. Totara 'Fire Opal'.

All the best, Nev.