Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

We go a great deal accomplished around the garden this weekend, I continued working on the brom garden extension, we put some more irrigation where our gingers and heliconias area as some are not getting enough water, I worked in the herb and veggie garden, Joe potted up by putting them in individual pots three trays of orchid seedlings and we went and had a look in the nursery to see where I can put some shelving in and where I need to clean up prior to Xmas so I have a safe place to move all my bromeliads (other than the vrieseas that are in the entertainment area) so that if I need to with cyclone season upon us and with the wet coming that I can move them when I need rather than not having anywhere to put them, as at all costs I want to avoid them getting damaged and they may need to be moved temporarily at some stage. We also need to invest in a good trolley to move them around with, has anyone got any suggestions on where is the best place to by a good garden trolley from at a reasonable price?

Hi Nev and Sue, that’s so much for the helpful advice regarding the irrigation system we have put in for the broms, I will keep a look out to make sure the pots are getting enough water and don’t’ dry out, I am still giving them a good drenching by hand fortnightly with the hose. I am enjoying having the irrigation in though because it frees up more time for me to check on all the pots, remove old brom leaves and gum leaves and move the pots around as I need to get the best colour out of my broms.

Nev my Neo Princeps Select is 40”. I really like your Neo Princeps ‘Rainbow’, very similar shape and size to mine, just the difference really in the colour. Yeah I agree our Neo Hecks have very different markings but similar in colour, mine still has a little more growing and colouring up to do as well. Nev we absolutely loved your Pic 3 Breakfast Time, what an amazing photo of three very different types of birds sharing the same close space together, I could think of nothing nicer than sitting there with a cup of tea watching them. We have been watching our mum and dad Kookaburra’s feeding their chicks in a hollow in one of the large paperbark gumtrees, we must have spent at least a couple of hours out of the weekend watching them with our cuppa’s, them flying back and forth with food for their babies, life does not get any better than that.

Sue how massive is that beautiful heiroglyphica of yours, mine is about quarter the size of yours. They are magnificent and so deserve the name King of The Vrieseas. Neo Royal Cordovan is also one of my favourites, I really like how strong and proud it sits in its pot and that strong colour throughout the plant is really nice.

Anyway, I better get a move on as a few things I need to do before it gets too late.

Huge Hi to Everyone I have missed chatting with tonight, I will do my very best to chat with you during the week sometime if all goes well.

Have a great week everyone and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pics are of Brom Garden Beds and the Kookaburra Nest (too slow to get pick of Kookaburra) lol.