Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 4 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all. Rain threatened but all we got was more wind, the moisture eluded us once again. Ah well good job there is plenty in the hose. I collected some more seed and did not plant any today, meeting day tomorrow after the markets so they will wait for a while,

Bree the NOID could very well be a concentrica, it is smaller and more toothed andcoloured than the others that are labled. Light could also have an effect on colour as this 1 has been in better light than the others. The centre leaves seem to be distorting the shape of the flower to a hexagonal shape more than the normal round. It could be just an individual thing and I don't know the rules of ID as yet. It is a nice plant all the same.

Nev, The root ball on Sakura was from 1 years growth according to the name tag and I only bought it in May this year at a market. I thought it ready to break up then but didn't have time to do so. I have just done it now. I loosened those roots as with a Bonsai this root structure is desirable to restrict growth and promote miniturisation.
The indented spots on a concentricta tell me of its breeding, what do the rings you talked about tell us. I haven't heard about them. I think I can see what you are talking about in the pic.
I will ask about Cherry Fizz's parentage tomorrow when I check on Ammonia and vinegar mix recipe. I will also invite her to join our group.
Everyone is showing good looking plants.
Have a good one.
Ian
Pic 1 Bil Dangerous dan flowering
Pic 2 N NOID, usually just hangs around on the front of my bush house and gets full sun from 8.oo am to around 5.oopm
Pic 3 N mini Cayene
Pic 4 N mini dinkum
Pic 5 N burle marxi fantacy