Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 4 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
weed_woman wrote:
I'm back!
I don't know what happened this morning, but I'll give it another shot!
Firstly, Nev, great shots of the show tables. How good is it to see some of the Billbergias in flower? The xNeophytum 'Galactic warrior' is superb. I overwintered the one you gave me, in the hot house this year. It has grown significantly and i will take it out of the HH when the night time temps are above 12. (still getting early morning temps around 7 and 8 on occasion)
I was going to say the same thing to Jean. Don't change what you are doing! Your collection looks healthy and happy, and i know you have other collections to care for as well as a large garden, so Jean, just do what you do! I have posted a pic of my Hannibal in the sun, so you can see what yours will do with a bit more light.
Karen, I am also sorry about your uncle. I'm not sure that I can say anything that will make it easier so I'll just leave it at that.
I went to sanctuary cove last November and was amazed at the brom gardens there. All grouped and planted alongside Zoyza grass and kangaroo paws. i will have to find some pics, as I know I took some. Obviously the summer heat has cooked them since then, and I'm sure, being in a commercial zone, they would have had the odd bar fly falling in them (ouch) and small children running over the top. I actually enjoyed walking around, spotting and naming broms, and had a wonderful lunch at Georges paragon seafood restaurant. Yummmmm!
Your colourful Neos look great on the shelves, and the plant from Rick looks like its going to be a goody! He kindly sent me a pup of a plant we had discussed, quite some time ago, and didn't want anything in return, but if he ever asks, i will certainly return the favour.
Enjoy your walk, Karen.
Ian, i too use Orchid fert on my broms. I only use the bloom booster (manutec) on guzzies and vrieseas that I think are the right size to flower, and use the other manutec orchid one for immature plants and seedlings. the Tillandsia seedlings like it! I've just started using a little of the Chondys chrystals in a watering can (a teeny-tiny pinch) just to turn the water pale pink, and am using this as an all around fertiliser, so will be interested to see if it greens up the colourful plants at all. I hope not.
ok, back to the pics.
Photo one is hannibal lector for jean.
Photo two is the border made with the red NOID for Trish
Photo three is Aechmea 'Freckles' in the sun.
Photo four is Quesnelia 'farro' (first time flowering)
Photo five is another border, using another Neo Noid. This time a smaller one that seems a bit olen-sy
Sue