Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 4 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning all.
Nev, I assumed you had a DG issue again, when I saw you repeat (somewhat in more depth) some of what I had written. Like you say, it just helps to confirm we are on the right track.
Good luck with your bromeliad show and I am sure the public will appreciate the effort that has gone in to providing beautiful plants to look at! If you copped the wind, I am sure alot of the other local growers also have the same problem? Take lots of pics eh? I looked up Vriesea 'Pink Sensation' in my journal, and you know, I have no notes of where I got it from, but i do remember being told it was from the same grex as V. 'Gypsy moon' which has fosteriana as its seed parent and no pollen parent listed. i think the hybridisers are buchanan and R.harper. I noticed on garden web, that Richard has pics of Pink Sensation (back in 08-09) so maybe he can fill you in a bit more? The label I had was definitely platynema x Plantation pride, so I think mine was mislabelled for sure!
Hi Ian. You must have a great ammount of patience to do that slow removal process! I guess it could work on v. ospinae types and maybe Guzmania sanguinea? I would love to be ale to get the sanguinea pup off and see if it will grow another, but then again, having a plant that just replaces itself saves on room! Thanks for the Neo pics. Most I have never heard of, so good to see something different.
Shirley, we had a couple of scorchers too! I went from jeans, in the morning, to a sundress by 10am, then shorts when going back in the garden. Its getting very dry here and the wind was a pain, making a big mess everywhere again. It seems very still this morning, and cool again (7degrees) so I might head out and put some water on something.
Yesterday I went to the botanic gardens to see the orchid show, and then down to the hot house to see the broms. They have updated the collection and have a much better variety, making for a really good display! The Orchids were great too, and very fragrant. The sales table was a little exxy for me, and there was nothing unusual enough to draw my attention.
just a couple of pics of the hot house.
The last one is an Alcantarea vinicolour in the gardens.
Sue

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 7:09 AM