Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi everyone (apologies in advance for the long thread)

It’s been a couple of days since I last threaded, had a huge week at work and when I got home today I decided to vacuum the entire house pretty much inside and out  and got stuck into some of the gardening that I was going to leave for tomorrow (could not help myself) I think I needed a bit of fresh air. Going to be spending the weekend in the garden as 30 more brom’s have arrived, also cleaning up the nursery first thing tomorrow and tending to my veggie patch later in the arvo, lots of nice yummy things growing at the moment – Chinese cabbage, lettuce, silverbeet, celery, capsicum, tomatoes, many herbs and also avocados, lemons and the Bowen Mango’s have started to bud.

Thanks everyone for your kind welcome and valuable advice. Pleased to hear the great feedback on my Neo’ Sam Smith, in the whole 6 months since first purchased it’s vibrant colour has held strong with no hint of green anywhere in sight and it lives very happily amongst my Vriesea’s, I dare not move it because it is doing so well and I love hovering over it in the morning with my cup of tea before heading to work.

Hi Shirley, thanks - yeah I plan to claim back a small portion of the nursery mainly for my smaller Vrieseas to give them a better head start (have a few in there at present), all my mature brom’s appear to be doing better since I relocated them to the outdoors and the Vriesea’s are really thriving in our entertainment area. I do still have my ferns, white and black bat plants, pitcher catchers and various cuttings still occupying the nursery which is great. Oh, and in answer to what size collection everyone has – I think I have just clocked over about 300Broms.

Hi Sue – thanks - glad to read you liked my brom’ pics. I will chat with hubby to see if he would like to share a couple of orchid pic’s with everyone, he has some really nice one’s flowering at the moment and the nursery is full of so much beautiful colour and the smells coming from some of them are intoxicating.

Hi Tash – thanks - I am still thrilled to bits on the discovery of my first Vriesea pup and even my husband with tickled pink when I showed him, we just did not know what to expect from them and this just gave us hope for all the other Vriesea’s we have as we have been madly collecting them without really knowing as much as we would like to about them, but never the less it just feels right so we have not stopped  Tash also loved your pic of Jewellery Shop – great size and colour, I have a much smaller version that’s a couple of months old but I’m yet to take a photo. You did a great job with Mounted Till, I brought one from the last Townsville Orchid Show and have it tied to our Mango Tree; it appears to be very happy there.

Hi Bree – thanks for the welcome; nice Vriesea White Bands, how great are the prominent marking, the white is just so white – amazing. I want to get more of this one because of how much it stands out in the crowd.

Hi Karen – thanks for the feedback on my Vriesea pic’s and Sam Smith. Great pic’s of all your Neo’s – such wonderful colours.

Hi Ian – thanks – great pic’s of all of your Crypthansus, I only have about 4 of these but I do not know what any of their names are because I have either been given them as a gift or picked them up at markets with no tag. They are so unusual looking and the ones I have appear to be doing fine.

H Jen – thanks for the welcome – loved your Vrieseas (my favourite), how amazing are the colours and leaf markings - unbelievable. I have attached a couple below that are doing really well.
Hi Wendy – thanks for the welcome – yeah I am really pleased with Neo’ Sam Smith. Loved all of your pic’s. Looking forward to seeing your seedling pic’s.

Hi Nev – last but not least – thank you so much for warm welcome and wonderful advice, glad to hear Vriesea’s are tougher than I thought they were; I will have no choice soon but to move some more of them out into the garden. Nev, I was totally blown away by all of your seedlings WOW your pictures are amazing and I could not believe how strong the little seedlings looked sitting so proud in all the trays they shared. How do you find the time to do everything? You are very dedicated and organised by the looks of things.

Well everyone I better get to bed its 1AM – Oops way past my bed time  I apologies if I have missed saying hello to anyone – Hello  or for any bad typos.

Have a great weekend everyone, look forward to chatting soon!

Trish

Pic. 1 – Aechmea Lue Odemanniana Rodco-Inverta (this was on its tag – oh my?).
Pic 2 – Canistram Triangulare.
Pic 3 – Vr. Hieroglyphica
Pic 4 – Neo. Amazing Grace
Pic 5 – Vr. Platynema Variegata x Uluru Sunset