Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Yarden maintenance late June into July, 4 by speediebean

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright speediebean

In reply to: Yarden maintenance late June into July

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Yarden maintenance late June into July
speediebean wrote:
LOL Donner!! Glad to see you're alive and well and safe! =) Anybody heard from any of the other "MIA's"?

Gonna be boring here and share a little 'yarden maintenance' (yeah, you can throw tomatoes at me if you wish... let me grab my catcher's mitt first though, k?) < ;P

I actually went out and did some yardening yesterday morning. I had gotten sick of the Honeysuckle that was in the half-whiskey barrel out front, in the corner of the big bed, so I got the shovels and dug it out. MY GOODNESS, what a BEAR to dig outta there!!! Had to practically dig out ALL the soil in there to get to the bottom of the roots, EGAD! Anyway, then I installed a few "end of season blah stuff" that I rescued from work. I actually installed 5 things, and y'all may laugh at me, but I was hedging (no pun intended) my bets 'cause I'm not sure what's gonna make it and what won't. I put in a Clematis Henryi, a Clematis Dr. Ruppel, 2 Cardinal Creepers, and a Passion Flower "Waterloo Blue". I'm pretty sure the Cardinal Creepers aren't perennial in this area so I'm not panicking too much if they all survive. I created a sort of support system in there too, using rebar and gardening twine. Pic #1 is the "new and improved" whiskey barrel.

Then, I cried as I cut back the 7-foot tall Agastaches, but I had to do it 'cause they'd gotten horribly bent from the storm last Friday. When I tried to straighten them up the roots started to pull out of the soil, so I figured they'd be best served by cutting back.... which led to pruning back the "plants gone wild" verbena that are forever creeping over the little Adirondack fencing.

I put down application #2 of my Milky Spore and watered that in (that was the first thing I did, btw), deadheaded the Shasta Daisies, and watered everyone. Oh, and potted up some other newly rescued acquisitions, some more Coleuses, a "Wizard Mix" 4-pack, and a Lime Red.

Pic #2 is of the "Agastache-free" bed after pruning back my beloved babies.
#3 and 4 are the new Coleuses.

Oh, sorry about the erroneous date stamp on the pics, guess I'll have to get into the camera and fix that, huh? ;)

Y'all stay safe and cool!!!!!!!