Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Colorado Iris Gardens, 4 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Colorado Iris Gardens

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Colorado Iris Gardens
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
DG...There is a wonderful iris seller in Boulder, Co. "Long's Iris Gardens" , they have acres of "you dig" german iris. From dwarf's, spurias, mid and tall germans. Last year they're prices in the named areas are approx. $7-8. In the unkown area you get to dig the whole clump, approx. the same price. They have digging forks and paperbags (also a marker to write the name on the bag).
Directions: from Denver, north on I-25 to hiway 36 into Boulder, north to Iris street (iris to the left and 28th st to the right) and turn left, to I believe it's Broadway Street and turn left ( the road deadends so ya have to turn), about 1 block south and turn left into the driveway.

I go every spring and always come home with bags of goodies. They open the fields in May until early June, check their website for more info.

Another you dig is located at I-470 and Santa Fe Drive, northwest corner on Santa Fe dr.. Have never been there but had called and driven past many times. They were the mother's iris and son is sellling, not sure how much of a selection they have tho.

I also have suggestions for some great nurseries if interested, one has annual and perenns in 12 packs for approx $3. Let me know if your wanting other ideas also: public gardens, nurseries.

Keep in touch as your travel plans come together, I might be able to include times and dates of private garden tours. There's a local newspaper that is for gardening only and covers the whole front range. It has info on plants, how tos, tours, sales, classes etc.

pix: long's iris garden, their poppies up by the house looking into the iris feilds
pix: 2-5 iris from long's

Hope that helps. Kathy