Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: developing a new strain of crop - food plants, 4 by fourteenmilecreek

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright fourteenmilecreek

In reply to: developing a new strain of crop - food plants

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of  developing a new strain of crop - food plants
fourteenmilecreek wrote:
In reply to some previous posts: My youngest son has recently set up a website, for his poor ol' computer illiterate daddy. Now, you can purchase Heavy Hitter Okra Seeds by visiting. our new farm store. Enter a Google search for: heavy hitter okra/dry creek farm store.

Or just to read more about Heavy Hitter Okra, enter a Google search for heavy hitter okra/green country seed savers.

I've been working on this selection since 1972. We're finally getting there! Heavy Hitter Okra has been featured in Chis Smith's new book, "The Whole Okra: A Seed to Stem Celebration" and seeds have been collected and stored, by the USDA National Seed Vault in Fort Collins, Colorado. The Fort Collins seed vault was built by the federal government in 1953 — decades before the Svalbard Global Seed Vault opened in 2008 on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen. The Choice City of Fort Collins was chosen because of the dry climate and adjacent university.

The building, 1111 S. Mason St., has thick cement walls and is specifically designed to withstand natural disasters like tornadoes or severe flooding if Horsetooth Reservoir were ever to break.

I've now gotten new growers in Panama, India, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and even in Canada (The okra in Canada is grown in heated greenhouses). Thanks to 'farming so many of these seeds out' I don't think there is much chance I'll ever come close to losing my germplasm again.

I owe a big, 'THANK YOU' to all the folks who have helped make all this happen. God has really blessed us here.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2020 12:22 AM