Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Butterflies are here. Which one is your favorite., 4 by Marcescence

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Marcescence

In reply to: Butterflies are here. Which one is your favorite.

Forum: Voting Booth

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Butterflies are here. Which one is your favorite.
Marcescence wrote:
I waited all winter for the return of butterflies and moths. I love raising the caterpillars into adults and releasing them, knowing that they were protected from predators or parasites (or parasitoids). I have raised monarchs, eastern black swallowtails, Polyphemus moths, American painted ladies, and several other lesser-known moth species.

I have two large parsley plants growing, which I was pleased to find black swallowtail eggs on. The eggs hatched only a few days ago. The first instar caterpillars are so tiny! I am going to enjoy watching them grow. I also have five mourning cloak caterpillars who are just beginning to pupate, and a whole bunch of baby caterpillars that hatched from blinded Sphinx moth eggs last night.

I see quite a few different butterflies, whether they are visiting my wildflower garden or passing by on the trail I frequent. I hope to continue caring for them throughout the years. It is fun to observe the transformation of different species.

I will post a handful of images of some of the butterflies that I have raised.
Happy gardening.
^__^