Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014, 3 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone - I had an enjoyable, relaxing time yesterday potting up the first of an enormous backlog of Neo. pups. I've barely made a dent in them yet, but it is satisfying to know I've at last been able to make a start.

Teresa - Neo Bedazzled is just one of many unusual coloured brom's bred by Allan Freeman. Sometime when you're looking for something interesting to do, go to the BCR and from the Search Engine, select "Advanced Search".

When the new screen comes up, select Neoregelia as the genus (in the first box) and type Freeman in the third box down (Breeder)

Now go right to the bottom of the page and select 1500 where it says Max. results.

Press the search button and all of Alan Freeman's registered Neoregelias will appear on a list on the left of the page, all 957 of them.

The only issue I have with a lot of the pic's is that they were hosed down before the pic's were taken. This does embellish the colouring of the plant, and true it does look nice, but at the same time, it doesn't convey an indication of its true colour.

The leaf stacking seems to be the normal thing in Thailand, and a lot of the South East Asian countries and to a lesser extent, Hawaii as well. The plants look fantastic but the growers complain that it takes longer for the plant to reach maturity and therefore produce pups; we on the other hand get plenty of pups but minimal leaf stacking except for the far northern tropical areas.

I hope Sugar enjoyed her run at the Dog Park, and she'll have to write a letter to Santa and tell him to leave her more "goodies" to eat in her Santa Bag next year.

I'll finish today with a few pictures I took the other day; Pic.1 is one of my crosses from Neo. ‘Burgundy’ x ‘Gold Fever’, Pic.2 is Neo. ‘Razzberry Ripple’ (Not to be confused with the other Neo spelled (‘ Raspberry Ripple’) Pic.3 is Neo.’Royal Cordovan’, and Pic’s 4 and 5 are two of my crosses from Neo.’Painted Lady’ (Sport) x Neo.’Ferny Grove’.

All the best, Nev.