Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014, 3 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Looks like another fine day here today so it will be a good opportunity for me to do my rounds of the yard to work out where I’m going to start working on my plants when these pins come out of my finger.

I have so much to catch up with I definitely need a “Plan of Action”, although I’ve had these before and find not long after I start working to the plan, I get side-tracked and before I know it, I’m off on a tangent doing something that wasn’t even part of the plan.

Anyway, it’s the best time of the year for brom’s with the Neo’s all showing their beautiful colour. The poor bloody seedlings in the three and four inch pots down in the back seedling house are now almost eighteen inches high in some cases and also showing some really nice colour. Unfortunately the shape isn’t the best, but I put this down to overcrowding so I’ll give them another chance and re-pot the best of them and put them somewhere where they have room to grow. I’ll take some pictures this morning to demonstrate just what the word “crowding” really means.

Teresa – I just saw the news and the hostage situation is over. Sadly, two of the hostages have been killed, and so was the person responsible.

The following is from Nine News this morning:

"Iranian-born Monis was shunned by the mainstream Muslim community for his radical views and was on bail at the time of the attack in relation to the murder of his ex-wife.

He first came to attention of police when he penned letters to the family of dead Australian soldiers seven years ago. He had also been charged with more than 50 allegations of indecent and sexual assault, reported to have occurred while he operated as "spiritual healer".

My question is; why was he on bail with all of these charges pending? Surely our legal system is too soft on these criminals.

Shirley – It must be a huge load off your shoulders to see that Molly is back on the road to recovery; unfortunately it seems that she’s a slow learner and will go on attacking Cane Toads.

Is there any way you could “Cane Toad proof” your boundary fences. I haven’t had any experience with these creatures, but how high can they jump? Would light wire netting attached to the existing fences keep them out? Although it might be cheaper and easier to put one of those cones around Molly’s neck when she goes out in the yard unsupervised instead; you know the type that vets use to prevent animals pulling out their sutures after an operation.

Yes Jack breeds some beautiful plants as does Peter Coyle from N.Z., however there are many other hybridisers both here and in N.Z. turning out some beautiful plants as well and it makes me wonder where it will all end. One of Jack’s latest creations is spotted (Just for Teresa) so that’s another avenue of breeding he’s now investigating (See Pic.1)

Your pic’s illustrate exactly what I’d like; a place to display my plants and still be able to walk among them but as far as I’m concerned I think it’s an impossible dream. Wait until you see tomorrow’s pictures and I’m sure you’ll agree.

Anyway, time to go again and today I’m posting some more of Jack Koning’s recent Vriesea hybrids. Pic. 1 is one of his spotted hybrids from his newest breeding line. Obviously he hasn’t given the name of the parents and is playing this one close to his chest. Pic.2 is Vr. ‘Franklin Forest’ x ‘Milky Way’, Pic 3. Is a colourful young plant from the Vr.’Angela’ x ‘Southern Cross’ grex, Pic.4 is another as yet unnamed plant from the “Dreamtime “ grex and Pic.5 is Vr. ‘Snows of Mauna Kea’ x ‘Milky Way’.

All the best, Nev.