Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Be of Good Cheer December 2014, 3 by coleup

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright coleup

In reply to: Be of Good Cheer December 2014

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Be of Good Cheer  December 2014
coleup wrote:
gita, love your festive snow pics. Thanks.

Did as close to one of my bucket list items today when I rode the streets of West Annapolis in a horse drawn wagon driven by Santa. The horses were a pair of Black Beauty Percherons. Just exquisite animals. Alas, no snow and not a sleigh on a full moon night but 'over the river and through the woods' and stopping by woods on a snowy night still dance in my head! Here is a little bit of lore about sleigh bells.

"We'll be there with bells on!"

Years ago, once snow had a good covering on the ground, people used horse drawn sleds and sleighs. The rural roads were not plowed and the runners of these vehicles left ruts to be followed in the deep snow cover. Many folks walked to their destinations and used the ruts as "the path of least resistance" to follow. Since these pedestrians were bundled up from head to toe against the cold, it was impossible for them to hear a sleigh coming until it was on top of them. The snow cushioned the hoof beats and made the runners almost silent. Drivers and riders in these open vehicles got the full brunt of the wind and cold in their faces, making visibility dicey at best; nonexistent in the dark. Consequently, the foot traveler was at great risk of mortal injury. Bells, hand wrought by local blacksmiths, were attached to the harnesses and leather trappings so the walkers heard them coming and could quickly "get out of their rut", before being run over.

Since each bell was slightly different in shape and size, it had its own sound. Putting a set together meant that each person's horse harness had its own distinctive sound and rhythm with the horses movements. People would know long before seeing them, who was coming down the lane. Inhabitants living in roadside homes could tell who was passing and in what direction they were going without looking. They also knew when there was a stranger in the vicinity or someone was using new harnesses. "Yah, I heard Jake going to town midafternoon today, he was in no hurry". And if company was coming, they would say "We'll be there with bells on" so you knew, even in the dark, when they were coming down the lane and could meet them at the door with a smile and hug.