Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 3 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone. I finally have time to do a decent post . Its raining outside, but only light and the sun is trying to get through the few clouds. Very hot yesterday which was not pleasant to have all of a sudden.
It used to be a joke that Melbourne weather could be all seasons in an hour. I think the whole country is now getting Melbourne weather.
One never knows what to put on in the mornings...lol

I spent yesterday over at the house as I had some new friends come over to buy my plants.
I am so pleased that most of my plants are now sold and going to excellent homes. I will be able to visit them when ever I want.
One couple took a lot of the irises and other odd plants . The other couple have taken all the broms and epis along with most of the brugmansias.
I am so pleased to see the plants sold and know they wont be just dying. Its also very nice to make some pocket money.

I actually came home from the house without a plant...
Oops, I forgot I did bring one rose ( only one)

I had a good check of the broms I have here this morning before I got rained on. I am so pleased to see the color creeping in as the weather gets warmer.
I didnt take pics because of the rain, but will get out and take a few later if the weather improves.
I realised, as I looked around at the broms, that I had done what I guess a lot of new broms lovers do. I brought over the ones that had been most colorful as well as some spotties and stripeys.
I never thought of the fact that those were all looking so colorful because they were flowering and wont be as good any more.
Now I have to go and pick out those with pups so I can still have that color as they mature.

Nev, I had to laugh when you mentioned a few posts back about seeing the hose in my pic all tidy and coiled up.
Thats because I only have the two small garden areas and need to keep them clear.
At the house, I put taps where I needed them for all the large garden areas and as I had a hose at each point, they were left to lay on the ground to keep them nice and straight.
Most of the areas were done with retic hose so I just clicked the hose in and put the timer on.
With the smaller area here, I get to talk to the plants as individuals more often.
Your bill Estrella is very pretty. I never saw any sign of flowers coming on any of my aech nudicaulis plants. Maybe they are still a bit young.

I will be bringing another plant stand back from the house for a few more broms before they all go off to their new home.
I was looking for the stand each time I went over as I knew it was there somewhere.
Talking about it yesterday, my friend pointed out that it was right behind me...lol
All the time I had been sitting if front of it and the orchid leaves, being very long , had covered it.

Teresa, you are certainly right about bill nutans being hardy. Nothing seems to bother it .
I had several pots in different areas which all did well.
Nice to hear that you did well in your exams.
Give Miss Sugar a pat for me.

Brian, a very nice lot of plants in your pics.
You must be gathering quite a collection. I see a bad case of bromamania there...
I was explaining that yesterday to my friend as her husband kept picking out broms. He started with one a week ago but kept finding just another one, then another and another.
I think I have created a new bromaholic...lol

Shirley what an awful thing for Molly. I know how you feel, having lost animals to snakes over the years. I am so glad she is okay.
Keep an eye on her as sometimes the venom can have an effect even after the animal recovers.
We had a lovely cat years ago, that went deaf after a snake bite.
Nev is right about your broms being such beauties. My neo Mandela has nowhere near the color of yours. I know the climate does influence them but you do have a magic tough too.

Hello Colleen and anyone I missed.
The rain has stopped so I will try to get a few pics.

pic 1...aech recurvata flower

pic 2...2 bills...one on right is Red Behemoth just starting to look nice as it was very ratty when bought.
The other is a noid which is similar to Hallelujah but with larger white patches

pic 3...neos Bird Rock in center, Jewellery Shop on the right and a bit of Grace Darling x Grace Darling in front.

pic 4...neos eleuthropetala (left) and Lamberts Pride ( right)

pic 5 ..neos Enchantment albo marginata (center) Johannis de Rolf ( back ) Black Brazil ( right)

Jean.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2014 9:46 AM