Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Catalpa, 3 by wingwoman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wingwoman

Subject: Catalpa

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Catalpa
wingwoman wrote:
These catalpa trees were fairly young when my father-in-law bought this house in the late 80's. They bloom beautifully, and are my favorite trees. The top branches no longer bear leaves, and not long ago, a friend was over and commented that what a shame our catalpa trees were dying. I was wondering if this particular species of tree has a short life span - when I was in a very old neighborhood in out city and saw the most magnificent catalpa tree ever with huge trunk and and extremely tall. So that one had to be pretty old, which gives me hope for ours. Does anyone know what sorts of things can be done to help these trees recover, aside from sawing off those top limbs which are no doubt robbing the trees of strength? The 3rd and 4th photos show the base of the trees, one of which is obscured by an invading elm, which we usually try to keep trimmed down, trying to grow in the same spot.