Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For May 2014, 3 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads For May 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For May 2014
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

We did our big walk on the beach with our pouches early this morning which was nice and they both decided to go for a bit of a swim much to my surprise as I thought it would have been too cold for them but they really enjoyed it and their tails just did not stop wagging the whole time we were out.

After we got home I headed over to the farmers market to pick-up some fresh produce and caught-up with some of my friends that have stalls there as I heard voices yelling out to me he he; before heading into the supermarket for a wee bit of shopping and then hurried back so I could get some stuff done around the garden.

I spent most of the day removing and potting up pups and got about 50 done which was good as well gave all the mums a good spruce-up and feed as they truly deserved a bit of the royal treatment after all the wonderful pups they have just produced; I could see the mums still had little pups coming up even after taking off 2 to 3 pups off per each mum. I took 5 pups off my Neo. ‘Grace Good Girl’ with still two more pups to come off down the track; which was pleasing as I have quite a few people’s names down for this one. There after I spend about 1hr watering all the lawns and feeding all the broms and pruned back a couple of shrubs; so a great day had and hopefully tomorrow I can do a bit more with my broms and feed all the seedlings.

Hi Tash I made a point of keeping some of my pups on the mums as long as I could to get them to a good size as well as to achieve better color in them. I am preparing to sell off a good majority of them at a few of our local markets so for now just have them sitting on a concrete slab beside our shed getting good light under our mango tree and good warmth and they are growing really well there and coloring up nicely; where I have about 80 there already but room for about another 80 which is good. Hopefully by the time I am ready to do the market I would have sold a few by then through connections I have and after that I just need to decide the best weekend to do the markets as at the moment we have a fair bit on and the timings not right for us just now; but the pressures on because everyone keeps asking me when I will be there next; but I am only a phone call away if they are chasing anything or just want to come over for a look.

Luckily for now we still have lots of room for broms in the back and front garden so for now I am not too worried and once the Igloo is finished then that will free up a huge amount of room in the back garden which will be great – can’t wait for the Igloo to be finished. Tash thanks for the feedback on your Igloos, I will have to D-Mail you pics of what our Igloo looks like so far and see what you think and maybe from there you may have some advice you could give us?

Tash yeah that ‘Envy’ is fantastic for when de-flasking orchids or for using on brom seedlings etc. we are very impressed with the product and it goes a long way if you use it right. Great pics you posted on 08/05 of your Neo. ‘Harvey’s Jewel’ and Neo. ‘Darkest Hour’; one’s that I have not seen or heard of before, they are gorgeous.

Hi Wendy great to hear from you and to hear how well your brom sales are doing as well as all your pups popping up everywhere. I always enjoy seeing them go off to good homes where people thoroughly enjoy growing them. I have sold also to many who have never grown them before and enjoy mentoring them on how to grow them properly and how to cut off their first pup etc. and often have people ring me with questions on the odd occasion that I am always happy to answer and naturally they keep coming back to buy more broms which is great.

Hi Theresa I hope you are well and keeping your chin up; hows everthing going?

Anyway time to head and start thinking what to cook for dinner?

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 - Neo. 'Lorena Lector'
Pic 2 - Vr. 'White Zombie'
Pic 3 - Vr. 'Graceful Charmer'
Pic 4 & 5 - Broms in back garden