Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Is it really Tasmanian Cedar?, 3 by Pistil

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

Subject: Is it really Tasmanian Cedar?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Is it really Tasmanian Cedar?
Pistil wrote:
The landscaping where I work in Seattle is impressive, I think they got some Plant Geek/Garden Designer to plant it years ago. Many of the plants are labeled (better than the Arboretum!). I have always admired this little, slow growing tree. It is in the sun, between a paved driveway and paved walkway. This year it got a little brown-we had two periods where it got down to around 10 degrees F, other than that it always looks fabulous. It is very soft to look at and to touch. When I look up Athrotaxus laxifolia, the pictured plant really does not resemble this little tree at all. Are there cultivars? I suppose it is possible there used to be one but it died and this is something else. I can't picture the designer putting a giant forest tree in that spot, so I think it must be a cultivar. I want one!
p.s. sorry about the crummy photos-I used my cell phone by stealth. The people I work with do not need to know I am a Plant Nerd!