Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014, 3 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014
perke_patch wrote:
hi everyone. Nev I love that billbergia Stephen Stone. I'm not sure if I crossed fred red with hallelujah. I know I have fred red F2 and hallelujah F2 and lots of crosses of other things. so I'll keep my fingers crossed for this one.

Ian I hope you had lovely birthday today. I think when you finish packing and doing up the house you will stand back and look at it with a sense of achievement well done. then you will close the door and open a new one.

Dalfyre I'm glad you didn't get too much of a severe storm. the weather is all stuffed up at present isn't it? we keep getting signs of a storm coming but it just doesn't get any more than some rumbles and a few spits then it's all gone.

Nev I know exactly what you said about not being able to find the plant that started the whole search. I often move a plant to put it somewhere to get back to it when I find the name. then when I find the name I can't remember where I put the plant. I can remember where it had been and should have left it there all along and never moved it at all. Hey I've even been know to go to the supermarket to pick up something for Johnny but when I get there I can't remember what I went there for. I can stand there waiting for it to come but it doesn't so I walk up and down the aisles hoping for inspiration. I end up coming home with bags of stuff and Johnny says 'did you get blah' and I say "oh that's what I went to get".

We are still in wind down mode after the weekend but tomorrow we will start putting our stuff back into the motorhome. Today I booked our site at Evans Head park and we are reall reall looking forward to a week of rest and relaxation. Johnny can fish and I'm going to read a book or two. I'll take the laptop though so I'll keep in touch but no photos as it will chew up the mobile data.

Nev you will love your ae del mar when the infloresence is full. it is a stunning colour. I'm off to bed now but before I go I just came across the pics of our best ae blanchetiana alvin (purple form) from Catlan's. Pic 1 and 2 is our #3. This one has the best shape and lovely fat leaves. This one is a stunner. Pic 3 is another one #2 which has thinner leaves but a nice shape and colour. we also have another 2 we've kept. one did have lovely colour but someone has given it a boost of fertiliser and it's lost the lovely colour and has these super long leaves that lie on the ground and we trip on. I've cut most of them back so we don't trip on them. I'll wait for pups now and see if we can get the colour back in next generation.

Night for now.
Wendy