Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014, 3 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014
perke_patch wrote:
Hi Nev. If I knew which one of the seedlings was the one in the pic 2 I would send you a pup but I didn't number them or give pet names. whenever I saw one that looked special I would snap a pic and say what it was ie concentrica seedling. when I posted those pics I just went through the folder and picked out the five that looked the best using shape and colour as benchmarks. We've also let a lot of them go because they were growing in the sun and when people saw them they always wanted them. So the ones I definitely wanted to keep and grow on were taken away from the trolley of them growing together. I have another batch of same seedlings growing on now so I'll look for good shape and put some aside or your next parcel. I'll also put your name down for a pup of that one in pic 4. that's one that is out the front in a totem because that colour just made it stand out and I wanted to keep it for me. It hasn't pupped yet. there's another black one out the back near the tanks that is big, perfect shape and lovely dark colour. it is greener now from the harsher summer sun but I expect it to go black again or at least the pups will.

I have some lovely colourful seedlings of hot gossip F2 coming on. no variegation but some brilliant colour. Some of the young plants have very red bottoms but green leaves with lots of red patches. I've potted up some and pumped them along to see what they may turn into. I'll keep you posted. Oh and Nev I have a shelf full of your seedlings up the back and didn't realise Johnny had moved them up there till someone asked for one of them. That's when I realised they were all seedlings. So at least you know some of them are desirable to customers. I'll pick out some outstanding ones and take pics over next few days and share.

Nev as you say when you hand water you "find" treasures. pic 1 is a little vrisea I found yesterday watering. It looked like a goldfish swimming out of a bench of green. It was a pup given to me by a friend and I just called it Sylvias little orange vrisea. Isn't it darling?

I took more pics of those minis for you Nev. turns out I did post the mini neo pic before. Pic 2 &3 are the top and side shots of that bigger mini. pic 4 shows the mini neo ampulacea x blushing tiger on the left and orlandiana on the right. pic 5 is the orange six pack of mini neos with the 2 big ones from pic 4 beside it. Not perfect shots but hopefully they show the difference and the potential.

Have to go as I am trying to help Hayden with his mathletics so we can get him off to bed.
Wendy