Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Pruning Mariesii, 3 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Pruning Mariesii

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Pruning Mariesii
ViburnumValley wrote:
All the advice given is true enough, but I would say for the goal you have in mind - they are only nibbles. You need to dive in, and take the big bite.

I have had Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum here at the Valley for many years. I've propagated 'Mariesii', 'Shasta', 'Shoshoni', 'Lanarth', and a handful of others. They grow quite well, but don't prefer the extended dry periods often inflicted upon them by central KY summers. Dog-eared (like your favorite beagle) is the attitude they portray in these instances.

One fine early spring - the infamous 70-80F temps of February and March 2007 - the Doublefile Viburnums got a head start on their season, and had full foliage and flower buds ready to burst by Easter weekend (April 7). Then, they were subjected to four successive nights at 20F and below, with an additional affront of advective freezing - a term heretofore unknown to me, but apparently common parlance among citrus growers.

Many plants suffered under this insult. Some young specimens that I had just planted the previous fall - full with the promise of new spring growth flushes - were killed outright. Four brand new Nyssa sylvatica clones never saw their first summer. Among mature viburnum species, Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum specimens were killed to the ground. It is not pleasant to observe 6-8 foot full plants with 100% dead trunks staring back at you in early April - that the week before had been sashaying around, just about to reveal all their bounteous treasures.

You can feel sorry for me - or these plants - but this detour down memory lane has a point. Almost all the (older) Doublefile Viburnum resprouted from dormant buds at the base of their trunks (normal rejuvenation points) and are now once again large full plants. This experience leads me to the recommendation:

Cut your 'Mariesii' completely to the ground after spring flowering - or thereabouts - and let it rejuvenate next season. If it were mine, I'd cut it down before it leafed out - but you are welcome to wait until flowering has passed. Be prepared to supply ample moisture and fertilizer to push out healthy stems. Be prepared to prune for increased density over the slim shoots you will otherwise see produced. You will recreate a fine full Doublefile Viburnum over the stretch of two to three growing seasons.

You should also invest in a pollinating partner, so that you reap more of what you expect from a species like this.

Here are some images of the damage, and images of promise...