Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Dull Alocasia Leaves w/ yellow spots, 3 by SavvyDaze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SavvyDaze

Subject: Dull Alocasia Leaves w/ yellow spots

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Dull Alocasia Leaves w/ yellow spots
SavvyDaze wrote:
Can anyone explain what in the world is going on with my 2 Alocasia Mayan Mask? Both are planted where they receive morning sun until about 11 and then receive an hour of sun from 5pm to 6pm. New leaves are dark green and shiny as it should be. (Pic 1) However, after a few weeks, they become dull and lose their shine. On top of that, yellow dots begin to appear on the tops of the leaves. (Pic 2 shows the beginning of the dots and Pic 3 shows what a leaf looks like a few weeks later. Pic 4 is the underside of the leaf in Pic 3.) At first, I thought maybe it was caused by water droplets remaining on the leaves when they are in full morning sun. But I realized today that not every single leaf have the yellow dots...they may be dull, but don't have the dots. However, the majority of the leaves are both dull and spotted.

Now I have had experience with Spider mites on Colocasia and easily recognize the "speckles" on the leaves. Could this be the cause of the spots on my Alocasia? I don't see any webbing or anything...

Anything would be helpful :-)

Thanks!