Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013, 3 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, Just had a day of watching my plants and the sun and moving a few to different locations. I also ordered a roll of shadecloth today. It might be a bit more than I need at the moment but I'll possibly need it next year for the next extension. It is funny that the price is about half of the local price and is delivered to my door. Locally I would have to collect it myself. It is coming from Brisbane area.
Debi welcome to the group. Your Pic 1 looks to me like a Neoregelia Mini called Fireball or 1 of it's hybrids if it is about10 cm high. Pic 2&3 are Neo compacta. I have no idea what the other plant is, but someone else may. It is very green and looks as if it could use more light but be carefull with too much sun or it will burn.
Cody I have finished reading a book while I relax. I might actually do something helpful to myself and broms tomorra. Here is a hug a smile and a wave.You talk with a funny accent too, you wing your horses, here we wean them. We wing birds by breaking a wing so that we can capture them. Used to anyway.
Nev The second Sunday of every month is hectic and full on brom day. We also have a field day every 2 years and that takes some planning. Our meetings are in members homes and we get to see what has been done since the last visit. We don't each get a turn each year and there can be quite a lot of changes. I don't know about the breeding of Super Duper Grace or Tickled Pink, I may have looked them up and have forgotten them.
I just might have to get some special Name Tags and put them on my warning plants, ie the ones most susceptible to scale. Maybe another colour to mark plants most susceptible to rot.
I think most of us old enough to remember those treatments possibly had bad experiences with them and that is why we remember them so vividly. I have Elk horn ferns growing on styrafoam and have been doing so for a few years, it works in the sub tropics also.
Have a good one.
Ian
PIc 1 Neo Mottles
Pic 2 Neo Crimson Nest
Pic 3 Neo Gespachio
Pic 5 Neo Movmaroloc
Pic 4 Neo Lilac Dream