Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Question about Crepe Myrtles, 3 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: Question about Crepe Myrtles

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Question about Crepe Myrtles
hcmcdole wrote:
Pruning the bottom limbs and suckers won't kill it. They are vigorous growers. I have trimmed many CMs over the years (yes including myrtle murder before it became a no-no) and never killed one. Wanted to get rid of two due to the color of the blooms so cut them to the ground, planted variegated privet in their spots and yet the CMs kept coming back from the roots no matter how many times I cut them. Many years later I got rid of the privets and the CMs were still there.

I dug up four seedlings when they were about 4 feet high in the middle of summer two years ago and moved them to the backyard. While that was a stupid time of year to do it since only 2 survived, the roots where the plants were dug from sprouted and are blooming this year.

Here are two different colored CMs that got planted together at my parents' home in middle TN (dug up from my old house). Everyone thought it was the same plant until we traced the blooms to different stems..

Next tow pictures are what I think is a CM too that I saw it in Okinawa last year. The tree in full and a close up of the extra large florets.