Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013, 3 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – It's sunny but very very cold here today, if fact I think Jean may be sharing her cold weather around as it's not very nice at all once you get out of the sun.

To add a little bit more info to Shirley's question about the Neo. 'Mandela' crossings and Sue's answer which was correct:
Neo Mandela x Mandela = F2
Neo Mandela x Self = F2
Neo Mandela F2 = Either of the above

I have taken the following definitions out of the FCBS Bromeliad Glossary:

SELF (SELFING): To pollinate a flower by its own pollen or by pollen from another flower of the same plant. Self fertilisation: The transference of pollen from an anther to the stigma of the same flower.

F1: The first filial generation; often a constant breeding hybrid type.

F2: The second filial generation; the progeny from the crossing or selfing of the F1. The number increases for each subsequent generation.

Shirley – I can't help thinking how much different in colour my Neo. 'Lime and Lava' (see Pic.1) is to your plant; I think this is certainly one plant that varies considerably to light strengths. Would anyone else who has one of these like to post a pic for comparison?

It looks like Molly had worn poor Rebel out and he needs a “Nanny Nap”.

Cody – Hi and I hope your weather is being kinder to you than ours is to me.

Jean - A temperature of -4 C isn't one of my favourites, nor is it a favourite of any of my brom's. I have read where some brom's have the water in the centre freeze and it's best to just let it thaw out gradually and not try to speed things up by pouring in ordinary cold tap water as this seems to cause more damage.

Sue – Wow! That's quite a book you've written here this morning. I think the unnamed Neo seedling in your first pic is a beaut and I also think it would have to have some 'Marble Throat' or 'Marble Snow' in it's parentage; I certainly wish it was in my collection.

I think we discussed my ?Neo. 'Rain Cloud' when you were down here and I remember you saying it was different to yours. It certainly looks like a good match for the Neo. 'Fairy Tale'. It was the only plant I've ever bought from eBay and it was an adult plant in full colour and I really liked the colour and the nice wide leaves it had. At that time it was more mauve in the centre than the ones in your pic but maybe your plants aren't fully matured yet or maybe it's a climate thing with the colour difference. I'll post my Neo. Rain Cloud before, during and after flowering for comparison.

Dalfyre – Good to see you still dropping despite your cold weather. Gee it looks like you're running a close second to Jean “weather wise” brrrrrrr!

That's it for now and today's pic's are Pic.1 My Neo.'Lime and Lava' (For comparison with others), Pic.2 Neo.'Rain Cloud' (Pre. flowering) Pic.3 Neo.'Rain Cloud' (Flowering), Pic.4 Neo.'Rain Cloud' (Post flowering), Pic.5 Neo.'Orange Glow'

All the best, Nev.