Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 3 by springer99

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright springer99

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
springer99 wrote:
Good morning, well not much happening here, I should have a few newbies on Friday this week, so I am looking forward to them, I will post pics next week of them.
Yeah watch out for them Mangos Trish, they would cause some big damage I imagine. Good plan to move the vandas at that time. ohhh and ouch rear the bamboo ...ewwwwww, glad mine wasn't that bad, but still annoying enough, got me right in the corner up the side. Can just feel it on space bar now, so getting lots better :) Thanks
I love your garden shots, broms always look nice in the garden. I'll have to have a look at my Bill Hallelujah's now, lol. They have been slow to multiple for me, I think cause I'm a bit scared to fert them, lol. I'm not much of a Bill person, not my favourite brom at all, but certain ones I do really like!
Oh as for what do I feed my broms, well, not much. They get their slow release when they are potted as babies, if they are a bigger or slower grower like an alc or vr, they get a bit more fert along the way. I do Seasol...when I remember, bit slack with that, and we have our own worm farm too, so we use the worm juice mainly on seedlings, but excess goes on whatever we feel like pouring it over. And I try to keep them in as higher light as possible.

Shirley your 'babies' look great and so well organised and potted up some already by the looks. Mine are kind of a mess and we tend to leave them that way and pick out the biggest ones eventually, lol, survival of the fittest at our house sometimes.
Yeah I am having trouble with my Forrest pups and if it continues... I will not continue to grow it. I don't think it likes my climate too much. I have some bad quilling going on and have tried every quilling solution out there... with no joy. the centres on a few are actually browning off now and it's just a wait and see game, they will either grow through it... or rot. I got 4 Forrest pups off my mother plant that died and I was hoping to grow them up a bit more and sell them in Spring, well 2 at least, maybe 3, but not after what's happened to them now, they will not be perfect for sale and will either need to be grown on for quite a while to grow past it, or they will be pushing their own pups if they end up rotting. Just gotta wait now and see what they do. I can't fiddle with them anymore, the centres are browning but firm and strong, so hopefully they might grow through it and grow it out.
I'll see if I can find a pic of the mum, stunning big brom (but long gone now).
the parentage of Forrest is similar to that of MilkyWay, except yes Forrest has platynema Variegata in it, Milkyway does not, and that's why Forrest can't take as much sun as Milky Way and probably why it doesn't like my climate as much either ;)
The alc to the left of Devine Plum is Silver Plum, another nice one to have.

I must comment on the numbering system, yes we have all ours numbered too, actually have never finished the Aechmeas, opps. But we don't use a seperate system for the NOID's, we just include them with the rest. I give them a bit of an identification in my records... like Neo NOID - big pink centre and then it's gets a number. Makes it easy to find later if I need it, you know, I can look in the list and think, what number is that big pink one.... and cause I have a small description, I can find the number. then if at any stage I get a name on that NOID, I don't need to renumber it or move it to the Neo list, just amend the name and find it in the yard. The way we numbered ours, was I just printed our spreadsheet, as I had all the names and NOID's catalogued already, so just walked around the brom house and yard, picking any one up in random order and giving it the next number. then I added it to the spreadsheet inside and now I can sort by number, name, seller, date, alphabetical etc. Comes in handy for me quite often and well worth my effort, for me anyway. Some people completely poo hoo the idea and that's fine.

ok some photos and I'm off to do the chores :) Cheers Tash

Vr Forrest, taken not quite 2 years ago, this is the mum to my pups
Alc Silver Plum, this is the one next to the Devine Plum, taken the same day, a couple of days ago.
Neo Wally. I had to have this one, I love it, apprently an old hybrid, lol, but still caught my eye. I had it with the mini's, but maybe 'Break of Day' type size, between mini and small type thing?
That's it for today, have a great day :)