Florida Gardening: My first raised bed garden for vegtables, 3 by jamibad

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamibad

In reply to: My first raised bed garden for vegtables

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My first raised bed garden for vegtables
jamibad wrote:
In the last post I forgot to add that I planted some cucumbers in and around the corn, that worked out well, the corn stalks are shading the cukes! And providing the cukes with support, something to climb on. I do have some cages around the cukes also, but they out grew the cages and now are hanging onto the corn.

Here are some more veggie's I have in the raised bed grden. Toms out the gazoo, BUT, they're all green, and I have a feeling they're going to turn red at the same time. I plan on canning some, but was hoping to eat them for awhile, I'm now wondering if I pick some of the bigger one's, and set them out in the direct sun, if the sun would turn them red quicker. I did clear some of the unneeded leaves from them yesterday, so maybe that'll help. I've been picking 2-3 squash a day, plus 2 -3 cukes too ! I have 6 or so cuke plants, and probably a good 9 squash plants. I have yellow summer squash, and zuquinni's in both of my gardens. I've made bread, casserole's, fried and grilled squash, every way it's possible to eat it, we've done so! lol ! We love cucumber salad, I make 2 kinds, 1 sweet, and one a little sour. I take onions and cukes, add vinegar, sugar and mayo to them, some celery seed, salt and pepper, and let it soak for a day, than we eat it. The sour is made the same way, just with more vinegar and no mayo. My DH also likes to add tomato's to the cuke salad. And we love them plain, dipped in a salad dressing as a snack. We do that with the squash too, raw, dipped in a salad dressing. mmm good!